Gibson Brands Forums

Will switching to .13's get rid of the buzzing on my J45 TV?

MapleManiac

Friends, I have a dilemma. My J45 TV sounds amazing--especially the last few low humidity days. But it developed low E string buzzing a few months ago for no apparent reason. I took it to my local tech guy and the buzzing is reduced but it's still there. Very frustrating. I don't even know what's causing it. Low action? A defective nut? I'm considering taking it back to get set up with .13 guage strings. My fingers might hate me for a while but from what I can remember, mediums don't buzz and they do stay in tune a little better--and may sound a little better possibly.

Is it any particular fret causing the buzzing ?

Did your tech guy do a complete check - neck relief, belly rise, bridge set, neck straightness, fret level, nut slot depth, saddle height ?

Putting 13s on it without a relief adjustment will most likely result in a bit higher action, which might clear the buzzing.

Taking it in to be re-setup might be a good idea but that J-45 TV should be able to take normal strings without buzzing. Just to be clear, you're saying the wound 6th string E is buzzing... right? You speculated about the action being too low. Did you have someone lower the action at either the nut or the saddle? How about adjusting the truss rod? I might start there before I went to unmotivatingly heavy strings. Let us know. Sometimes that truss rod adjustment (loosening by about 1/4 of a turn to start.. not too much...) can help a lot more than you ever thought possible. Sounds like it might be too tight... a common, easily remedied problem, and sometimes the result of seasonal change.

Good luck,

Jack6849

Yes - 13s may cure the buzz. However, I don't think string gauge should be used

solely to achieve this. A skilled tec/luthier should be able fix this and stay with the lighter gauge strings.

My J-45 had a small but noticeable buzz with capo use beyond the 3rd/4th fret.

I put 13s on just to try them, rather that have the intent of curing the buzz. Well it worked anyway.

And, for the first time in years, I quite like them!

One other thought - some years ago I used some Gibson Masterbuilt PB strings. There was a bad buzz on the bass E.

Having checked all the obvious causes, I eventually noticed that the bronze wrap wire had loosened from the core wire.

over about one inch in length mid way in the string.

Worth checking, although this is the only time I have come across this.

Not sure if 13's will cure the string buzz as it could be a number of reasons, but I can tell you it will make your J-45 sound utterly amazing. I just moved to 13's on my SJ and the difference in tone and also playability has been as astounding.

And the SJ sounded great before, just so thats clear.

Archived