Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions

ne14t?

So this really isnt the best area to put this but it has the most traffic out of all the forums, and I want the goods be it good or bad on this guitar, someone is either bound to own one or messed with one, non of the L&M stores around me keep it in stock so I cant find out for myself. I am looking at the Epiphone Nightfall LP to leave in E standard or do drop tunings on, and mostly because it has the Floyd Rose. Anyone here ever lay there fingers on this thing, is it an ok little guitar (cant expect too much for $550) or is it just a big steaming turd?

So this really isnt the best area to put this but it has the most traffic out of all the forums, and I want the goods be it good or bad on this guitar, someone is either bound to own one or messed with one, non of the L&M stores around me keep it in stock so I cant find out for myself. I am looking at the Epiphone Nightfall LP to leave in E standard or do drop tunings on, and mostly because it has the Floyd Rose. Anyone here ever lay there fingers on this thing, is it an ok little guitar (cant expect too much for $550) or is it just a big steaming turd?

never played one, you got a pic?

Epiphone_Les_Paul_Nightfall__93154_zoom.jpg

Just something I snaked off Google. I am sure its not utter crap but it does have a lot of fancy bells and whistles attached to it so I was slightly concerned, I have heard horror stories of cheap Floyd Rose's not staying in tune, then again the owner has a lot to do with it I would imagine. L&M told me they would have to order it in not sure if that meant from a supplier or direct from Gibson so before I pulled the trigger I was hoping someone could chime in, the FR makes me want to buy it alone, I dont have a guitar equipped with a tremolo yet. ~Shrug~ maybe just have to impulse but it and find out.

Epiphone_Les_Paul_Nightfall__93154_zoom.jpg

Just something I snaked off Google. I am sure its not utter crap but it does have a lot of fancy bells and whistles attached to it so I was slightly concerned, I have heard horror stories of cheap Floyd Rose's not staying in tune, then again the owner has a lot to do with it I would imagine. L&M told me they would have to order it in not sure if that meant from a supplier or direct from Gibson so before I pulled the trigger I was hoping someone could chime in, the FR makes me want to buy it alone, I dont have a guitar equipped with a tremolo yet. ~Shrug~ maybe just have to impulse but it and find out.

i just can't for the life of me feel comfortable with that headstock [unsure]

Played this Guitar last night in the store and I must say I was NOT impressed at all. The only thing I liked was the coil tapping. The neck felt WAY too short and it felt like the 12th fret was almost on top of the body, access to the upper frets was horrid. The back of the neck was painted with some kind of flat black paint that felt dry in my hand it wasn't smooth like my Gibby, it kinda like my hand was sticking to the neck almost . The EMG HZ pickups were not too shabby especially for a passive pickup that was a bonus that it came with them from the factory. The one thing that was drawing me to this guitar was the Whammy bar I like playing around and doing divebombs here and there and I thought this would be a decent way to break into a guitar with a Floyd Rose but yeah it blew CHUNKS when I pick up a dean or fender or something with the body fully routed out for an FR I can make that thing squeal like no tomorrow, but the one on this Epiphone is mounted on top of the guitar with a little portion of the top routed out. Dumping the bar fully and reefing it all the way back after hitting a harmonic sounded like maybe a 1.5 Octave increase it was pretty sad, oh and no sustain. When I did get it to squeal they were short. In short I would not spend the $550 on this guitar at all, its a bummer to say but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I only eyes this guy up cause of the Floyd Rose, was glad I found one sitting on the floor to try out, I even think it might have been returned cause I asked them about a week ago and they said they would have to order one in, but I just couldnt get the squeals out of the FR I wanted.

After changing strings on a Floyd Rose, I hate them with a passion, bit if that's what your after then go for it. I'm not fond of EMG's because it's very hard to get a good clean tone with them. Setting up your guitar is much more difficult with a Floyd Rose, but you can't get that type of sound with a standard whammy, so there's always a trade off. The flat finish in the neck is easily fixed by polishing it with so automotive wax (without grit!). This is a great guitar for metal, but not so good for anything else.

Ewwww... Floyd Rose and EMGs...

I was actually impressed with the EMG H4s not my first choice in a passive pickup; however they sounded fairly good for the price point of the guitar. The FR was horrid, and I mean real bad not even worth putting on the guitar, and I am not trying to be mean to Epi for it but it just sucked I only looked at this guitar so I had something to do divebombs and squeals on but yeah probably have better luck with a mexi-strat.

a younger friend of mine got one this past xmas. He's an undergrad so hopefully he'll grow up and start liking big boy guitars.

needless to say, I wasn't upset when he said it got stolen. I hated the floyd. As I hate all floyds I decided to give it a shot. Yuck.

the emg pickups? PASS... Blech

coil splitting? Not nearly useful.

all black? Haha you can guess what crowd this was marketed toward.

floyd + emg + LP = abomination

I like the idea of Floyd Rose's, but they are such a pain in the neck to use in real life. Sure if you have a roadie doing all your guitar you probably wouldn't car to much, but in day to day use these things suck. The only real use I got out of the ESP was pairing it up with a glass slide, you'll get some interesting sounds. The only tone I could coax out of the EMG's was the sound of a hive of pissed off bees, unless the amp was set as clean as it could be. Then it was just some bees going about their day.

Archived