Gibson Brands Forums

Did the SG Special really need an update?

EpiGreek

In the first quarter of 2011, the SG Special received an update. A pickguard was added and the GT Killswitch Tone Pot was put in the regular tone pot's place. But was this really necessary? I personally own an SG special made in September of 2008, and I love it. I think the pickguard was the only necessary change.

I also have one, and love it. It's playability is amazing, way better than Fenders IMO (Due to the short scale on the Epi, and the Tune-o-matic bridge is easy to adjust). The pick guard is a good step in the right direction, but I don't understand the the Tone Pot upgrade....maybe it's just better quality. The only other upgrade I can think of is the 4 Knobs like the rest of the Epis and Gibsons have. That's the one thing I wish my guitar had.

I ebayed an older 2008 SG Special for a co-worker's grandson, no

pickguard at that time. The look with the Pickguard is better, but

rather that a "kill Switch", I would rather have seen better tuners.

The stock ones are not so great - better than having NO tuners, but just

barely passable.

I did the setup on the SG SPecial for the grandson - it actually plays

decently. I would have no problem keeping one around.

In the first quarter of 2011, the SG Special received an update. A pickguard was added and the GT Killswitch Tone Pot was put in the regular tone pot's place. But was this really necessary? I personally own an SG special made in September of 2008, and I love it. I think the pickguard was the only necessary change.

Do you have a link ?

Me, totally confused, a Gibson SG Special has a set neck, the Epi version has a bolt on, it's nothing like it's Gibson stable mate, why the F do they do this crap, it's not an SG Special as I would have expected it to be.

I would rather have seen better tuners.

The stock ones are not so great - better than having NO tuners, but just

barely passable.

Until this post I had forgotten that I had replaced the tuners. Before the stock ones quit on me they grinded and would loose tune almost constantly. Then, with in about 6 months of owning the guitar, one jammed up and I got rid of them. [thumbdn]

Why can't they put on the same tuners they put on the G400s, my brother in law has one of those from '98 and it's never had an issue with the tuners!

Would it really be that big of a price increase? I know they retail much higher than the stock tuners, but think, how much does the Gibson company buy them for? Shouldn't be too much more than the stock ones, direct from the manufacture.

I agree with ya AF. BTW, have you had experience with any of those GF tuners? I'm wondering what the quality of those "Green Key" models would be. :-k I still want to put some vintage style ones on one of my geets but haven't got around to it yet.

I agree with ya AF. BTW, have you had experience with any of those GF tuners? I'm wondering what the quality of those "Green Key" models would be. :-k I still want to put some vintage style ones on one of my geets but haven't got around to it yet.

I've got a set of GFS lockers on my strat. They are about on par with the basic epi tuners - which I've never had an issue with... ;)

I've got a set of GFS lockers on my strat. They are about on par with the basic epi tuners - which I've never had an issue with... ;)

I got the lockers on my CBG, for the money they are tremendous value IMHO, I think they're much better than the Epi tuners, extremely smooth action and hold tune faultlessly.

Although i am aware that the kill switch is popular among many younger guitar players that are into heavy stuff, to the majority it is pointless. Rather than replace the special could they not have just added a slightly more METAL version with hotter pickups and a kill switch ?

Although i am aware that the kill switch is popular among many younger guitar players that are into heavy stuff, to the majority it is pointless. Rather than replace the special could they not have just added a slightly more METAL version with hotter pickups and a kill switch ?

+1

To change an existing model so drastically and then not offer the original version any further seems extremely strange to me, it could be that model just isn't selling and they figure the alterations will make it more viable as a commercial entity, that said I'd prefer they drop the original from the line-up and introduce a new model with a new moniker.

This thread is the first time I even head of an Epi SG Special, whenever I hear SG Special I immediately think of Gibson, not Epiphone. The fact that Epi also has a model of that name, that bears little resemblance to the model Gibson produce just makes it all the more confusing to me.

If it's not selling well it's because it doesn't have that classic SG look, with the four Knobs, and pick guard. People would rather pay a bit more money for a good looking guitar. Maybe the Kill Switch pot is to try to cater to the growing metal community with a cheap guitar, while still keeping their base beginner market? Am I over think this, most likely!

As for the tuners, they dont need to put Grovers or anything high-end to make them better. The standard die-cast tuners like the ones on the G-310 would do just as well. They are cheap, but stable. The problem is that it would take some retooling from 8mm to 10mm - and that is where the cost will come in, as well as the more expensive die-cast. With a pickguard now - and if they were to add the extra control knobs, you would basically have a G-310. The Special is meant to be the bottom-line budget SG. If you want all of that stuff, buy a G-310. They are barely more expensive.

As for the tuners, they dont need to put Grovers or anything high-end to make them better. The standard die-cast tuners like the ones on the G-310 would do just as well. They are cheap, but stable. The problem is that it would take some retooling from 8mm to 10mm - and that is where the cost will come in, as well as the more expensive die-cast. With a pickguard now - and if they were to add the extra control knobs, you would basically have a G-310. The Special is meant to be the bottom-line budget SG. If you want all of that stuff, buy a G-310. They are barely more expensive.

You do make a good point. Just rename the G-310 the Special, and offer it with the starter pack, and I think many people would be happy.

I think it would outsell the Special if they offered it in a starter pack. It would be a better looking, more versatile, guitar for a bit more money, and I think many people would go for it instead of the Special.

Have a SG special with the epiphone custom shop insignia. Flat or faded brown finish

and a pair of black and white pickups. A buddy of mine sold it to me befor he moved

for 150 U.S. with a case. Cannot find any dtails about it. Stays in tune real good and

plays like a gnarly beast. It does have a set neck on it.

post-33030-009943200 1304657691_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think it would outsell the Special if they offered it in a starter pack. It would be a better looking, more versatile, guitar for a bit more money, and I think many people would go for it instead of the Special.

It was offered as a starter pack, but it was discontinued. My local Guitar Center still has a pack for sale.

Have a SG special with the epiphone custom shop insignia. Flat or faded brown finish

and a pair of black and white pickups. A buddy of mine sold it to me befor he moved

for 150 U.S. with a case. Cannot find any dtails about it. Stays in tune real good and

plays like a gnarly beast. It does have a set neck on it.

i think its a Worn SG Special Zebra they made 500 of them in 2005 http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=SG

Archived