Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Should Make T.V's The New Standard Models

I was playing my sj 200 t.v today and I got lost in the music at one point , so much that for a few moments i felt like a real rock star XD .

I was really amazed by the tone of the guitar on this particular day . but I really think Gibson should consider making the TVs the new standard gibson acoustic they are just so consistent , proof of this is all that's talked about on this forum ! . what do you guys think ?

I think they have designed the Standard models as medium price with pickups. Lower than that is Studio, same thing, less bling. Slightly more costly and blingy: signature models. Next the TV's are, IMO, somewhat lighter in thickness and bracing, no pickups, getting more toward a traditional spec, but not necessarily reproducing any specific model. Higher price. Then they have the super duper Legend tier, which really are attempts at fairly exact reproduction of an existing vintage example. Quite pricey but amazing.

The TV's are very good. I have played several I wanted. I played a 185 TV which though undeniably good sounding, did not seem as thick a tone as my 'Modern Classic' (=Standard). Each instrument is unique.

i agree and disagree. Gibson needs to keep the standards in order to be competitive with the other brands out there. it's important for more people to be able to afford a Gibson when looking at the "big 3" (Gibson, Martin, Taylor).

that being said, at our shop, we market it the way you suggest. the TV line, the AJs, and the special builds ARE the norm. the standards are offered as a cheaper alternative. it works too. we sell WAY more of these higher end Gibsons than the standards.... still important to keep the standards around the shop though. sometimes it's all people could afford, and they love those guitars just the same! :)

quote "...sometimes it's all people could afford, and they love those guitars just the same."

I must agree. I picked my J200 studio based on the sound of J100 I'd listened to quite a bit (extra or not, I'm not sure of). The price I paid equaled the amount I got for one of my older motorcycles and is the hightest I've paid (yet) for a guitar. The reviews were very favorable, and the extra bling of a standard (or a higher model) was unnecessary for me. Plus my purchase got me into the Gibson sound! I am NOT DISAPPOINTED in the least! LOVE my Gibson!

i agree and disagree. Gibson needs to keep the standards in order to be competitive with the other brands out there. .....

+1

I agree with Modac's take. I think the Standard price point needs to be there.

And yet the Rissues/VOS/TV are very nice and popular. Perhaps Gibson should settle on one, maybe the TV, and make it a version that remains available instead of being produced now and then.

I think the TV is about as good as it gets when to comes to a modern take on a classic guitar design. But to remain competitive I would imagine it takes not only guitars with different price points but those with say different neck profiles, onboard electronics or whatever.

i agree and disagree. Gibson needs to keep the standards in order to be competitive with the other brands out there. it's important for more people to be able to afford a Gibson when looking at the "big 3" (Gibson, Martin, Taylor).

that being said, at our shop, we market it the way you suggest. the TV line, the AJs, and the special builds ARE the norm. the standards are offered as a cheaper alternative. it works too. we sell WAY more of these higher end Gibsons than the standards.... still important to keep the standards around the shop though. sometimes it's all people could afford, and they love those guitars just the same! :)

Thanks I've seen alot of reviews over how people saved up along time to have a gibson . I read about a man in his 60's

who waited something like 40 years to be able to afford a gibson hummingbird . so I really get that point .

but it's probably a neat feeling when you finally get the gibson you saved up for.

I feel happy for all those guys and girls :) .

I like them, but not everyone likes that "vintage' FINISH.....still wanting a nice shinny guitar.......hard call

Not all of the TV's have the dull finish. I think that's a VOS spec. My TV is all pretty and shiny. I would not have bought it otherwise. I don't mind a guitar whose shine has dulled down through natural use but an intentionally un-buffed guitar in that price range just isn't my thing. No offense to those who like them. We all have different tastes

Archived