Gibson Brands Forums

what to do?

mud guy

I'm trying to sell my PRS soapbar single cut on kijiji to offset some of the cost of the elite LPC I just picked up. A guy offered me to trade for a Joe Pass. I asked for details on the condition and some pictures. I have the PRS on for $400 OBO.

I'm likely a dead man if I take home another guitar. What would you do (heck, I know what everyone on this forum would do!)?

-Cal

400 or less is a serious bargain around here for a JP, if that's what I was into I'd bring it on home and deal with the wife when she finds it...

Thanks James...the guy sent pictures. It's in excellent shape, vintage sunburst. according to the guitar dater, it's a 1994 samick model (korea).

I've been there, too, my friend. Take the swap and hunker down for the fallout. It will pass (pun intended). It's simply too good of a deal to pass up.

Ha ha...yeah, she doesn't go down in the basement that much.

I will do the swap tomorrow. Here's a pick the guy sent along. Now I have to show the tough love, may have to put my Dot up on the block... [thumbdn]

Great decision Muddy, how could you pass on something that special.

Wives come and go but a guitar is forever (in one form or another).

Got my JP (Korean) for $350 a couple weeks ago....GF said I have a serious problem.......so, I got rid of it (the gf-not the guitar!).

Enjoy your good fortune and as long as you have a comfy couch I don't see a problem.[thumbup]

post-32777-000702300 1305010017_thumb.jpg

Great news! Beautiful guitar! One thing, guys. If Epiphone put those god-awful Alnico V pups in the Joe Pass, please rip 'em out. I put Gibson '57 Classics in my Broadway, and it totally transformed the instrument. You really can't believe the difference.

Great news! Beautiful guitar! One thing, guys. If Epiphone put those god-awful Alnico V pups in the Joe Pass, please rip 'em out. I put Gibson '57 Classics in my Broadway, and it totally transformed the instrument. You really can't believe the difference.

The Epi Alnico's are OK, but I do agree adding Gibson Picksups adds more depth & richness, buts theirs the costs and fitting that can be $200+ easy if you buy it all new.

2nd hand is a good option but its up to luck what becomes available...

The Epi Alnico's are OK, but I do agree adding Gibson Picksups adds more depth & richness, buts theirs the costs and fitting that can be $200+ easy if you buy it all new.

2nd hand is a good option but its up to luck what becomes available...

Who pays for fitting, unless your arms/hands are crippled, or you are completely blind why wouldn't anyone not do it themselves, I really don't understand that mentality, it's not rocket science.

Yesh I do it myself but some don't like to mess with the insides incase they #### the insides and it doesn't work no more...

It's that fear of screwing up that WILL make you screw up if you try it, you have to have some degree of self confidence, but like I mention, it isn't rocket science, anyone with some common sense (and I know you've got that Snakey) should be able to handle these things, they are really pretty simple things to do. As I see it, you just have to get some of that confidence in your own ability, buy a junker, blem or cheap chinese copy and practice this sort of stuff on that, the satisfaction you'll gain is wonderful, and let's not forget the money you'll save.

The point about girlfriends doesn't necessarily work with wives 'cuz it can cost an awful lot more. Which is, of course, a good reason to be rather careful who one chooses as a spouse since a girl guitarist has roughly the same problem as a boy guitarist.

Yeah, a HR sounds like a great deal.

You're getting an entirely different guitar from a dot type.

But here's my recommendation on the pups. First play what you're getting with different kinds of strings on your amp, and with different amp settings.

In short, wait probably a year while messing with other variables. Figure change strings the equivalent of once every two months if you're playing an hour a day, once a month if two hours, etc., although Elixirs and most flatwounds tend to last at least twice as long for most folks who aren't hard on strings.

One of two things will happen at that point. Either you'll have not found a set of strings and guitar/amp settings you like, or you will. If you have, then why swap pups and damage an "original" guitar. If you haven't, then reeeeeally consider what it is you're looking to change in the guitar's sound with the best string choice you've found. That keeps you from chasing what ain't really there with pups of the month that is expensive both in cash and frustration.

m

The point about girlfriends doesn't necessarily work with wives 'cuz it can cost an awful lot more. Which is, of course, a good reason to be rather careful who one chooses as a spouse since a girl guitarist has roughly the same problem as a boy guitarist.

A great reason not to get hitched in the first place imho, I've never been hitched (officially) for this reason, among several others, I also much rather have complete control on what I do, and when I do it, don't need anyoune else's input on that front.

Archived