Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Bridge pin size

BoyVader

Thanks, Jeremy. You don't happen to also have the degree of taper, by chance (3 or 5 degree)?

Based on Jeremy's information, a size 1 or 1T would seem to be correct for newer Gibsons. Not to muddy the water any further, but.......here's a link to a bridge pin size chart and it indicates that the size 1T should fit Gibsons after November of 2009. It shows size 2A should fit Gibsons prior to 1995. I suppose it's anyone's guess which size would be correct between 1995 and November of 2009???

http://www.custominlay.com/bridgepins.aspx

Also ordered 1T (thanks Jeremy)in bone/abalone from Bob for my new H'bird TV. Should arrive today. Was prepared to order ivory bridge pins and a matching endpin. Although it meant less money for him - Bob explained to me how simple bone bridge pins would be better for me. A true, stand-up guy!

Also ordered 1T (thanks Jeremy)in bone/abalone from Bob for my new H'bird TV. Should arrive today. Was prepared to order ivory bridge pins and a matching endpin. Although it meant less money for him - Bob explained to me how simple bone bridge pins would be better for me. A true, stand-up guy!

Well said, couldn't agree more. Last summer, a month or 2 before joining this Board, I wrote him regarding the - at the time mysterious - adjustable rosewood saddle on my newly purchased 68 Southern J. and got superb advice. This man is exemplary.

Do you have any idea why he would recommend bone instead of f.x. horn. And with what explanation did he talk you out of ivory.

• 5 months later...

Finally the set of pins and bone nut from Colosi has arrived, I can confirm that the size is 1T, they fit like a glove but I think there was some kind of misunderstanding because they're rosewood with a strange orange cap:

crow2006.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The tusq bridge pins on my 2002 Hummingbird Orpheum Flame measure as follows:

* 3 degree taper

* 0.215" circumference below the collar

* 0.159" circumference at the other end

These are the pins that shipped with the guitar.

Ok...one last question on this...if all Gibson guitars vary, do they mold lot's of different size bridge pins for the cheap plastic ones they put in? Noooo...they all come from the same size mold my friends!..

Answer me that..... ;)

They don't mold them. They buy them, from various sources.

-- Bob R

Archived