Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Bridge pin size

BoyVader

I did email Bob, here's his response:

Hi Steve,

If you have access to a dial caliper and can measure them directly under the skirt, I can tell you for sure. Unfortunately the Gibson pins are all over the place in terms of size!

That's why I'm asking...don't have any dial calipers!!! Why would I? Just thought someone on here must have a Hummingbird that they have swapped the pins on?

Boyvader, Any luck? I know you are the one that asked for help. But I've got a new 2010 H'bird TV I want to upgrade the bridge pins on as well with Colosi. I did the same 5 years ago with my SJ200 and didn't have to measure with calipers. I had to sand the new ones down very slightly to get a perfect fit in each bridge hole.

No, still not had a chance to measure pins...can't believe that nobody else on here knows? I know a bitof sanding will probably be required, but there can't be that much variation on Gibson pins, as you can only order one size from their official pins?

No, still not had a chance to measure pins...can't believe that nobody else on here knows? I know a bitof sanding will probably be required, but there can't be that much variation on Gibson pins, as you can only order one size from their official pins?

I've been told by the customer service that the "official" pins are not available anymore...

I've been told by the customer service that the "official" pins are not available anymore...

lol...you can still get them here in OZ...shame they dont say what frickin size they are on the packet!!

Can't believe Gibson put out high quality acoustics with bone nuts, but not bridge pins, saddle? Makes no sense?....

They why don't they sell "aftermarket" upgrades? I'm sure they could make a killing on "Genuine Gibson" Bone saddles, bridge pins etc...just like Bob...

ho humm..I'll get them measured one day....stupid hand built Gibsons...( [biggrin] joke)

That's why I'm asking...don't have any dial calipers!!! Why would I? Just thought someone on here must have a Hummingbird that they have swapped the pins on?

Dude,...as Bob said all Gibson guitars vary so he has no idea on the correct pin size of you HB. I ordered a saddle for a '05 j-45 from Bob and it ended up being way to small for the Bridge slot. Bob sent me a larger one free of charge!!!

I'd just go buy a cheap set of calipers of the BAY and get it right!

[thumbup]

Dude,...as Bob said all Gibson guitars vary so he has no idea on the correct pin size of you HB. I ordered a saddle for a '05 j-45 from Bob it ended up being wat to small for the slot.

[thumbup]

Maybe you could go to your local guitar shop and ask them to measure the pin sizes for you. It's actually kind of nice to pick up those cheap micrometers like this:

314nCa6vO0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and then you can measure string gauges too.

For the saftey of your guitar, you just might want to have a local Gibson Tech install them, Put the ball in their court so to speak, in case of a problem that cause's damage to your Hummingbird.

Brotherly advice... ;)

Dude,...as Bob said all Gibson guitars vary so he has no idea on the correct pin size of you HB. I ordered a saddle for a '05 j-45 from Bob and it ended up being way to small for the Bridge slot. Bob sent me a larger one free of charge!!!

[thumbup]

Interesting...I'll give feedback as soon as his set arrives.

[thumbup]

The store down the road from me has the Gibson Rosewood ones..how come I don't need to measure to replace with Gibson rosewood ones, but I do if I want bone? Still the same size whatever material..I would expect a little variation that I could adjust with light sanding etc...oh well no big deal...

It ain't rocket science...or is it? [flapper]

Ok...one last question on this...if all Gibson guitars vary, do they mold lot's of different size bridge pins for the cheap plastic ones they put in? Noooo...they all come from the same size mold my friends!..

Answer me that..... ;)

Like I said before, I've always ordered size 2A and they fit perfectly. Gibson drills the same size hole in all of their guitars. Not to dispute Bob's advice, but if there are different sized pins that fit differrent sized Gibson guitars, it could be due to the fact that the pin hole sizes could change over the years from wear and tear, thereby making it necessary to go to a larger pin as the holes get more worn. Also, FWIW, I've ordered the Gibson rosewood pins in the past and also size 2A from Bob. I've never measured the two sets to compare them, but they both have seemed to fit equally well in my guitars.

... do they mold lot's of different size bridge pins for the cheap plastic ones they put in? ...

I don't believe they manufacture their own pins. If they buy them from multiple suppliers, one would expect the sizes to vary some. They're cheap bridge pins!

-- Bob R

Archived