Gibson Brands Forums

Best Bass for the Buck??

Rokkstar 2210

Hey guys...I'm normally a rhythm guitarist in my band...but due to our bassist (his name's Ryan) falling seriously ill (the doc says it's chickenpox [sad] )..I'll be playing bass for sometime while the vocalist(his name's Aaron) plays rhythm in my place [biggrin] ...just had an idea to pick up bass playing for a while...so wanted to ask you guys..

I'm a little short on cash <_< ...having done a few mods on my guitar (Its a Schecter 006 [biggrin] ) and want a good 4 string bass at $150 or less...any ideas...I'll want it to be a keeper...atleast for a tear before I can splurge on a better bass

some help people??

Hey guys...I'm normally a rhythm guitarist in my band...but due to our bassist (his name's Ryan) falling seriously ill (the doc says it's chickenpox [sad] )..I'll be playing bass for sometime while the vocalist(his name's Aaron) plays rhythm in my place [biggrin] ...just had an idea to pick up bass playing for a while...so wanted to ask you guys..

I'm a little short on cash <_< ...having done a few mods on my guitar (Its a Schecter 006 [biggrin] ) and want a good 4 string bass at $150 or less...any ideas...I'll want it to be a keeper...atleast for a tear before I can splurge on a better bass

some help people??

Hands down, Squire is the best deal on new basses right now.

If you are not used to playing bass (said you were guitarist)you might want to check that whatever you buy is not longer than 34" scale length unless you are a tall guy.

It might be uncomfortable to play if longer than 34".

But if you are comfy with the longer scale lengths go for it.

The Precision and Jazz basses are 34".

well Versatile, I have played a P Bass (our bassist Ryan has one) a couple of times...just love that Duncan Split coil sound...so trying to get in a bit more and buy a Squier P bass.. [-o<

Lungimsam....I'm 5'11" ....so the 34" scale length is pretty comfy with me [smile]

Craigslist is your friend it you want to find all kinds of used gear for relatively cheap. Of course you are taking your chances with whether it has been abused, but so far, I have had pretty good luck. I got an Epiphone Thunderbird with a hard case for $200, and I have seen all kinds of bass guitars for prices ranging from $50 to $150. Ibanez makes decent instruments for not much money, and the used market reflects their low initial price. So does Squier. I have never played a Dean or BC Rich, so I cannot comment on those. I didn't like the one Carvin I tried, but I haven't seen any of those for sale anyway. Yamaha and Peavey made and/or make some pretty good bass guitars, too. You can also find the occasional Epiphone within your price limit. If you are in a huge hurry, you may find what you are looking for at a local shop, brand new, but you will have to be fairly lucky. For what you are looking for, used is the way to go. I won't buy instruments from over the internet for a lot of reasons, but if you are willing to do that, you will have even more options. At your price range, you can't expect perfection, but you can probably find a bass you will be very happy with.

well Versatile, I have played a P Bass (our bassist Ryan has one) a couple of times...just love that Duncan Split coil sound...so trying to get in a bit more and buy a Squier P bass.. [-o<

Lungimsam....I'm 5'11" ....so the 34" scale length is pretty comfy with me [smile]

I am 5'11" too...

It is of little consequence...

Ask Suzie Quatro....

V

:-({|=

I am only 5'7". I've only ever played Pbasses. I love it and can play fluid. But sometimes it feels like I am wrestling a marlin. Especially down by the first fret. If I stay in that area for too long, I start pulling the whole bass towards my trunk without thinking about it to accomidate my short arms.

But I love the feel and sound of Pbasses. Some smaller people are fine with them. Carol Kaye played them for years, and I don't think she is that tall. Maybe it is arm length too.

Just got a new SG bass and it is much easier on the left hand (30") scale. But it is not up and running yet as I am getting the pickup replaced under warranty.

Let us know what you get, and please post pics!

I'd say either a Schecter, or a Squier bass. Both a very decent basses. You know about the Schecter, as you play a Schecter guitar already. The Schecter just may have a better bridge on it than the Fender style Vintage bridge on the Squier.

well guys...I am visiting a guitar store this weekend...to try out a couple of basses and see what suits me...

If I hit the jackpot...then maybe I'll buy one this week...or else I'll have to wait almost a month (3 weeks more) to get some pocket money which I can use for the bass

Thanks for the replies everyone...you've been a great help!! [thumbup]

I'd say either a Schecter, or a Squier bass. Both a very decent basses. You know about the Schecter, as you play a Schecter guitar already. The Schecter just may have a better bridge on it than the Fender style Vintage bridge on the Squier.

Just about any bass has a better bridge than a Fender Vintage style! I've never had a Fender that I didn't change the bridge on. In fact, I have a couple like new Fender "bent metal" bridges if anyone wants one.

I've played a few cheaper Ibanez basses that were outstanding; great necks and good sounding. I'd definitely try to find a used one (probably a ton of 'em on eBay) - more bang for the buck.

Troof, right there.

And a fat plus to back it up.

Yep - Squire has a Jaguar for $199.99, and its really good looking (American Musical Supply - Spring catalog #FEN 0328900). The nice thing about a Squire is they're so simple to upgrade. Better bridges and pickups are easy to find and install, so you can take a decent bass and make it great without a big investment.

Maybe, but I'll darned if it's not so funny looking that...

Never mind.

totally agree with you Riverside..it does look a bit weird [laugh]

Yep - Squire has a Jaguar for $199.99, and its really good looking (American Musical Supply - Spring catalog #FEN 0328900). The nice thing about a Squire is they're so simple to upgrade. Better bridges and pickups are easy to find and install, so you can take a decent bass and make it great without a big investment.

Kelvinator..I am leaning more towards the Squiers by the day..might just end up with a Jazz Bass or a P bass :)

It's true that one can upgrade a Squier for little jack, but...

I've never felt the need.

I've had more than a few, and they all play and sound pretty good right out of the box.

I once bought a set of '62 reissue pups for a Squier II P, but really couldn't tell the $75 difference.

Good stuff, for a good price.

I'm lusting for a honey-blond '50s P as I write this...

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-precision-50s-bass-guitar

It's true that one can upgrade a Squier for little jack, but...

I've never felt the need.

I've had more than a few, and they all play and sound pretty good right out of the box.

I once bought a set of '62 reissue pups for a Squier II P, but really couldn't tell the $75 difference.

Good stuff, for a good price.

I'm lusting for a honey-blond '50s P as I write this...

I agree that if you're happy with the sound, leave it alone.

I bought a Squier Vintage Modified P with a Tele headstock, and a big chrome muddy humbucker at the neck ( the sound of that made a EBO seem like a Ric!). I did buy it for a project 'cause I liked the looks but hated the sound. I added an EMG humbucker mid-way between the neck pup and bridge, then I tore apart the neck pup and put another EMG inside the cover. I replaced the "bent metal" 2 saddle bridge with a Hipshot so I could intonate the thing properly and gain sustain. Now it sounds great, plays nice, and is quite unique. I bought the bass new for $260.00 and put another $150.00 into it, but I have to say as far as tone & playibility go, it rivals some of my much more expensive basses. The next slow day I have - I'm ripping the frets off of it......... Love to tinker! :unsure:

totally agree with you...our bassist started off with a PBass (Squier). Now he's modified it over the years to make it cost more than a Fender Vintage PBass if he wants to sell it..I'll have to ask him for specifics once he recovers

One note of caution: no matter how much you improve a Squire - you really won't add to the value. I don't care about that 'cause I like to do mods. My router and soldering guns are my favorite toys! :rolleyes:

I'll second that!! [thumbup]

Archived