Gibson Brands Forums

I want a "Inspired By" 1964 Texan!

iwantatexan

Like my name, I'm looking into the "Inspired By" 1964 Texan. I played it at a shop for a short time and I thought it looked pretty solid. I didn't plug it in though. How do they sound "plugged in"? Also I noticed it sounded a little tight, does it loosen up?

Any acoustic guitar will improve its tone as time and playing time goes on.The tone of the guitar will no doubt become fuller the longer that you own it considering that you play it regularly.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a proud owner of an IB'64 Texan and really like mine, with a couple of caveats, which I've discussed at length here in the past. One is that I wish the poly finish were thinner; I took steps to get mine thinned down and it greatly improved the sound of the guitar. Those steps were relatively pricey and not every repairman would want to do it. I was lucky to find a guy crazy enough to try, and he did a great job. You can still have a great-sounding guitar without it, though.

But to your question about the pickup. The guitar, in my opinion, sounds great plugged in. The Sonic NanoFlex is a fine pickup, and I like it much better than the Fishman Matrix I've got in my J-45. I believe the NanoFlex/IB'64 Texan combo is a very good one.

Yeah, I know it's a daft question... I'm used to seeing "super jumpos" and the Texan looks more like a "dreadnought" shape.

People use "Advanced Jumbo shape" and "Slope Shouldered Dreadnought" interchangeably, to describe the shape of a guitar like a Texan or Gibson J-45--any guitar that descended from Gibson's Advanced Jumbo, which was the first guitar with those basic dimensions.

There was at least one Gibson guitar preceding the AJ that had the same basic top and back shape, but the sides were of a near-consistent depth (this guitar is now referred to as the Original Jumbo). Sides that taper toward the guitar's sloping shoulders were first found on the Advanced Jumbo and its sibling, the J-35.

So, it's the 16" wide, narrow waisted, slope shouldered body with the tapering sides that people refer to as having an Advanced Jumbo body, Gibson J body, or as a slope-shouldered dreadnought.

Red 333

Like my name, I'm looking into the "Inspired By" 1964 Texan. I played it at a shop for a short time and I thought it looked pretty solid. I didn't plug it in though. How do they sound "plugged in"? Also I noticed it sounded a little tight, does it loosen up?

I have played 2 different IB Texans. I bought the first one sight and sound unseen (and unheard). It was very tight. It was not ever going to loosen up to a tolerable degree. It was awful, and I returned it. The second one was completely different, and was warm and open sounding. So you may want to try to find a couple to play, and see if you can find one that isn't tight. But like others said, playing it will open it up some if its only a little bit tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine like 2 months ago and the the Shadow NanoFlex pick-up has already stopped working. I have to drive 50 miles to return it to the store I got it from and I don't have money for that in my weak budget, the store said I was good as I got the extended warranty that goes for at least a year. So, what is exactly wrong with it I won't know until I can get it back there, I've been using an SM57 to mic it through my PA and it still sounds good. It's Chinese built but all solid wood, a bit bright sounding but as stated it's sound will likely mellow within a few years of steady playing.

This is the economy model I have, not the McCarthy signature model that cost's much, much more than the $450.00 US I paid for mine. I'm not worried about the pick-up for now as it is a good deal with out it, but I do plan on taking it back to get it fixed or replaced when I can.

Archived