Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkat - What do yall think?

alcorn

Alright so here's the situation. I play a lot of rock and blues stuff. A lot of acoustic blues and delta bottle neck stuff is also common on my acoustic sets. I play with a couple guys. We get a gig every so often and throw some stuff together but nothing that we have to take too seriously because we all have good day jobs. Anyway, I'd read about the wildkat before but not played one until yesterday. I was walkin through my local guitar store because I had actually just traded for a new amp and this funny lookin little guitar with a bigsby caught my eye. So I picked it up and ran it through some of the the usual rock and blues stuff: cocaine, blackdog, rock n roll, hey joe, purple haze and the thing is just rockin through all of it. So then I try some ozzy and some GNR and its actually not soundin too bad. Then I go to clean tone and try some clapton, some van morrison, and some other stuff and it just rocked. They wanted 400 for it and I offered 350. He said ok and I could put it on lay away if I want. So I did.

Now, my thing is I already kinda have my go to rock guitar in my les paul. I was really just lookin for something to play around with and see what kind of weird noises I can make it squeel out. Kinda a Jimmy P meets Jack White electric delta blues . I figure I'll put heavy strings on it and lower the action. Any other ideas? I'm already having it rewired by a friend whos a guitar tech. If yall think of anything or if ya have an opinion or have heard anything good or bad about the Wildkat just reply to this post.

Alright so here's the situation. I play a lot of rock and blues stuff. A lot of acoustic blues and delta bottle neck stuff is also common on my acoustic sets. I play with a couple guys. We get a gig every so often and throw some stuff together but nothing that we have to take too seriously because we all have good day jobs. Anyway, I'd read about the wildkat before but not played one until yesterday. I was walkin through my local guitar store because I had actually just traded for a new amp and this funny lookin little guitar with a bigsby caught my eye. So I picked it up and ran it through some of the the usual rock and blues stuff: cocaine, blackdog, rock n roll, hey joe, purple haze and the thing is just rockin through all of it. So then I try some ozzy and some GNR and its actually not soundin too bad. Then I go to clean tone and try some clapton, some van morrison, and some other stuff and it just rocked. They wanted 400 for it and I offered 350. He said ok and I could put it on lay away if I want. So I did.

Now, my thing is I already kinda have my go to rock guitar in my les paul. I was really just lookin for something to play around with and see what kind of weird noises I can make it squeel out. Kinda a Jimmy P meets Jack White electric delta blues . I figure I'll put heavy strings on it and lower the action. Any other ideas? I'm already having it rewired by a friend whos a guitar tech. If yall think of anything or if ya have an opinion or have heard anything good or bad about the Wildkat just reply to this post.

I just got mine a week ago and love it...http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67987-ngd-not-a-genesis-wheeee/

BTW, you can get a brand new one for $349 incl shipping at American Music Suplly. They just got new stock in today! I paid $279-used-for mine. It's Korean built-2004.

img9338.jpg

img9343s.jpg

MF and GC also have em new for $350.

Awesome guitars. Be careful rewiring...the master volume circuit has a lot to do with the unique sound. If you ditch that in favor of a regular wiring harness, it won't sound the same.

EG

Hmmm....do you have a link 'cause I only see them at $399 and not available until 6/21? AMS is the only supplier I've seen at $349 and in stock.

Archived