Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG 400- HELP

Sinis

I bought an SG from guitar center used, which worked perfectly fine. After about a week I decided to toss in new pickups ( Seynour Duncan neck and DiMarzio bridge). The bridge pickup has worked since I first plugged in, but I can't get the neck pickup to work. I've gone over the wiring multiple times and was wondering if anyone knows the ohm readings I should get from the volume pots and what-not so I can pinpoint where I'm messed up.

Thanks,

Joe

I bought an SG from guitar center used, which worked perfectly fine. After about a week I decided to toss in new pickups ( Seynour Duncan neck and DiMarzio bridge). The bridge pickup has worked since I first plugged in, but I can't get the neck pickup to work. I've gone over the wiring multiple times and was wondering if anyone knows the ohm readings I should get from the volume pots and what-not so I can pinpoint where I'm messed up.

Thanks,

Joe

Welcome to the forums, a great bunch around here.

Measuring pup impedance is covered here:

http://forum.gibson....uitar-and-more/

Volume pots are usually B500Kohm and tone pots A500Kohm,

Each pickup manufacturing company uses different wiring color codes also. Make sure you are following the supplier color codes exactly.

Seymour Duncans are usually a bit different that the others. And, I've found that some of the wiring diagrams from the SD site aren't the best for other pickups types.

Theres not much i can add except too say that there are loads of different ways of wiring a guitar and as already mentioned each pickup manufacturer has a different colour code for humbuckers.

There is a sticky thread over in the Epiphone lounge ...The DIY thread. Its full of wiring info and other stuff.

For SD humbuckers, Black is the hot output, White and Red are connected together, and Green goes to ground along with the shielding wire.

Thanks,

Joe

Each pickup manufacturing company uses different wiring color codes also. Make sure you are following the supplier color codes exactly.

Seymour Duncans are usually a bit different that the others. And, I've found that some of the wiring diagrams from the SD site aren't the best for other pickups types.

So far, everyone is heading you in the right direction. Bigneil is correct regarding the SD Color code.

Pulled this from the "DIY" lounge sticky, scroll down for the wire color codes for your SD and Dimarzio pups

Guitar & Bass 4-Wire Humbucker Color Code Diagrams

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=pDiRkAJiOtBFxtVNDhEcMLPAI/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_wiring_color_codes/

How's your progress?

Thanks a lot guys! Well I've been working a lot since I posted, but I'm deffinately going to show my dad all this (Since he's my tech) and see if we can't figure this mess out. Again, thanks a lot everyone!

Thanks a lot guys! Well I've been working a lot since I posted, but I'm deffinately going to show my dad all this (Since he's my tech) and see if we can't figure this mess out. Again, thanks a lot everyone!

Ok, since your DAD is your TECH (pay him hourly wage) this is for him:

"O' DAD-of-Sinis": should you require wiring diagrams for this project for verification,

we can supply excellent ones. Sometimes the ones that comes with the pickups aren't so easy

to make sense of. Just tell us How many pickups (2), how many tone and Volume knobs, etc.

If problems arise, we have a higher success rate than failure rate. That being said,

we'll probably really hose this one up!!! [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

We HELP each other out on THIS forum. Other forums sometimes make fun of folk who don't

know what to do...

Feel free to assume your son's ID and ask away.

EDIT: In hindsight, as the git is a G-400, this wiring diagram should be

prefect for you. The correct Bridge/Neck Pickup color codes are already listed in an earlier post...

2h_2v_2t_3w.jpg

Archived