Gibson Brands Forums

Locking Tuner Problem

Rocky4

Bought a set of 12s for my Tele that has Fender locking tuners. The .056 did not fit through the tuner hole! So I went Kief with it. Raised the action, and tuned to a G. It'll be my Stones and slide guitar till they corrode.

Any body else run into this before?

Bought a set of 12s for my Tele that has Fender locking tuners. The .056 did not fit through the tuner hole! So I went Kief with it. Raised the action, and tuned to a G. It'll be my Stones and slide guitar till they corrode.

Any body else run into this before?

Wow! That seems strange. [confused] But it didn't turn out to be such a problem afterall. Seems like you had a "Happy" (pun intended,

as you said you went Keef with it, i.e. 5 string Tele w/ Open G tuning) ending. [rolleyes] I guess it goes without saying, but you can

say it anyway, that you have more than one electric guitar in your arsenal. [tongue]

I don't understand your post. Are you saying the shaft of the tuners did not fit through the holes in the headstock or was there not enough room on the headstock for all six?

Rocky -

Is it the hole diameter in the peg post?

Or are they the type with the screw on the backside with a post the goes up the center of the shaft to clamp the string in the peg hole? If so, sometimes that shaft gets stuck and won't retract all the way when loosened.

Did you try a slightly smaller bass E string ?

The Kieth Tele setup is cool but just in case you might be able to strip away the winding and just use the string core to lock on to. Maybe a dab of super glue or a piece of heat shrink or tape to keep it from unraveling. Just a thought.

The Kieth Tele setup is cool but just in case you might be able to strip away the winding and just use the string core to lock on to. Maybe a dab of super glue or a piece of heat shrink or tape to keep it from unraveling. Just a thought.

I tried that, but couldn't get a hold of a loose end.

Archived