Gibson Brands Forums

The Duke always had good drummers

jaxson50

Totally different styles and approach, Speedy has always been one of my favorites, he also played with Maynard Ferguson and James Brown, a sad story, his son was (is?) a good drummer to but when he was 22 he was falsely convicted of murder and released after 10 years.

Duke did indeed have use great drummers......I prefer working with drummers skilled in jazz; IMHO jazz drummers make

better drummers......

I met the Duke himself once, when I was a kid.....I remember him being an exuberiant, happy, and joyfully intense man.......

Jaxson 50 - Thanks for that post. I was unaware of that story. What do you say to someone who has been through that? I think about Nelson Mandella and the grace and wisdom he exhibited. Love how he kept his chops and couldn't wait to sit behind a kit. Seems like a classy person in spite of the wrong that was done to him.

Every aspiring drummer needs to see videos like these, there're not many musicians more talented than jazz drummers. Even your Travis Barkers and what-have-yous.

The best drummers IMO came out of the Big Band era, when you consider the influence of those great drummers on the next generation, Krupa, Hampton, Belson, Woody, Speedy and of course Elvin Jones and Buddy Rich were really the genesis of the drum solo, and few music forms utilize percussion as well as the great big bands.. Ginger Baker was a jazz drummer before he joined Cream and you can tell.

Jaxson 50 - Thanks for that post. I was unaware of that story. What do you say to someone who has been through that? I think about Nelson Mandella and the grace and wisdom he exhibited. Love how he kept his chops and couldn't wait to sit behind a kit. Seems like a classy person in spite of the wrong that was done to him.

I can only imagine the hell he went thru...

Archived