Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 P-90's

ccannon1

Hey guys, havn't posted in awhile! Anyways, i was wondering if there were P-90's that fit into a G400, and what they would sound like? cause i'm deciding between trembuckers and p-90's, what're the qualities of both?

as far as i am aware, a trembucker is just a standard humbucker but with wider pole spacing for fender style guitars that have a wider string spacing. as for P90s, they can be bought in humbucker size covers called P94 for fitting to guitars that are designed for humbucker. How do they sound?...anywhere from twangy to growly, go down to you nearest guitar store and try out some P90 guitars and see if you like what you hear. There are also loads of P90 comparison videos on youtube ;)

Hey guys, havn't posted in awhile! Anyways, i was wondering if there were P-90's

that fit into a G400, and what they would sound like? cause i'm deciding between

trembuckers and p-90's, what're the qualities of both?

bigneil and RaSTuS are correct in their comments. My question is:

What kind of PickGuard? Full Bat-Wing or Smaller style?

The reason I ask is - From the EPI Lounge "DIY" Sticky, "projects and builds" sub-section:

"Install P-90 Pickups in Epi G-400 with FULL Bat-Wing Pickguard" - Video Series

(Videos 4 - 7 have EXCELLENT tutorials for soldering components/Pups like a PRO!)

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=p90-pickup-installation

Of course, this assumes you're going after actual P-90s, rather than HB-sized P-90s.

bigneil and RaSTuS are correct in their comments. My question is:

What kind of PickGuard? Full Bat-Wing or Smaller style?

The reason I ask is - From the EPI Lounge "DIY" Sticky, "projects and builds" sub-section:

"Install P-90 Pickups in Epi G-400 with FULL Bat-Wing Pickguard" - Video Series

(Videos 4 - 7 have EXCELLENT tutorials for soldering components/Pups like a PRO!)

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=p90-pickup-installation

Of course, this assumes you're going after actual P-90s, rather than HB-sized P-90s.

well, i've got the smaller style, like the 60's Angus Young SG lookin one in cherry, and i'd preferably go for the actual P90's but i have no idea how i'd route it or if i even need to route anything, is there a difference tone wise between HBsized ones or is just that they look funny?

The HB sized P-90's just look like a humbucker with a single row of center-aligned pole pieces. As far as sound goes, I have a guitar with a Gibson P-94 in the neck and another with a GFS Mean 90 in the neck, and hands-down the Gibson wins. The Mean-90 is good, but it's just not as organic sounding. Hard to describe, but the Gibson has more meat to it, where the Mean 90 just sounds less-defined. It's like driving a BMW and a Hyundai (I own a Hyundai, I can make fun of it [rolleyes] ) Both will get you where you need to go, but one just does it a little better. If you are curious about the sound of a P-90, start with GFS if you are just going to buy one though, because 100 clams is a lot if you aren't sure. Good luck!

you can get both p90s and hum sized p90s here: bg pickups

owned a pair of pure90s and they were the best. wish that guitar was still around. well worth the lead time. you get a discount if you happen to be a harmony central member, if memory serves.

The Mean-90 is good, but it's just not as organic sounding. Hard to describe, but the Gibson has more meat to it, where the Mean 90 just sounds less-defined.

Not surprising, seeing as the Mean 90 isn't actually a P90 at all- if memory serves, it's actually a massively overwound strat-sized single coil in a humber case.

The Dream 90 is the real deal though. [thumbup]

Archived