Gibson Brands Forums

SG Bass woes

Lungimsam

Sometimes when I land on a note, it sounds a half step flat (F# will sound like an F). When I release the note and refret and play, it gets back to normal. I have noticed this for the last month I have owned it.

Seems to happen on any note at any time. No pattern I can detect.

Neck is straight, bass is set up. New strings (1 month old). Intonated properly, speaking length of string only touches saddles.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing these sour notes?

My Pbasses have never had this problem, so I assume it isn't the rig, but the bass.

The SG Bass looks great, and is really comfortable on my small hands, so I like it alot and want to use it more. But its pitch is having probs.

Maybe I'll change strings and see if it is possible a bad string set.

Are you maybe having to do bit more adjustment to your playing the short scale? After playing long scale for so long, it takes a bit of time for the hands and fingers to acclimate to the short scale.

Does this happen when you are playing with a band? [confused] I've had the problem with ringing floor toms cancelling out or seemingly changing certain notes. Also, FOH subs can rumble back on stage and cause some low frequencies to be hard to distinguish; with our drummer - this can happen to me between Ab & Bb (but only in some rooms). If this is the case - I agree with "Turn it up"! Other than that, my fall back position (and this covers everything) is: blame it on the drummer! If you're having the problem when you're all by yourself, I don't have any Ideas......... Let us know.

Happens when by myself. I changed strings and pup height to mo avail.

I'll have to run it over to my Gibson auto serv guy for a look see.

I love the wood and finish. It looks great and is the easiest bass I've ever played. Great upper fret access with the set neck. So I'll keep it and work on it til it's tip top. Just hope I can get it there.

Thanks for the replys.

The original set of strings I put on the bass were on for over a month, and I hand stretched them alot. But still had the prob.

I pushed the strings to make a break point at the saddle as well as the nut but will do it again to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking!

I have been playing it alot to see what would happen. Behaved well at church today. Seems like the problem is not happening this week. Maybe those strings are finally settling down or something.

I think I need to take it in to be looked at anyway this week as my tone pot seems to be kaput. It doesn't do much of anything except make the tone change to an almost brighter sound when I roll it to 0. Who knows, maybe that had something to do with it. I will keep all posted as soon as I find out what is up. Warranties are good things!

Here's another pic. Camera cannot show the true color. But this one looks like a nice early '60's color:

GibsonSGBody.jpg

If you switched strings a couple of times, the ones you have on now, may have finally taken set. Not that unusual. No more problems with the new pup on board?

Good looking pic.

Lungimsam; Try getting a pic of the SG with some natural light. Indoors preferably. The finish turns out pretty good in those settings. Lamps with shades on them at times tint the light to much, and washout the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

As you say originally, could be a bad set of strings. If you've had more than one set of strings with this problem, then it sounds like a nut problem to me.

Here's an other forum page that covers these probs and fixes quite well: intonation problem

Covers lots of probs from poorly cut nut, too having the nut wrongly positioned. If you are thinking of taking it in to have the pots checked, I'd have the tech check the nut and set-up at the same time.

Archived