Gibson Brands Forums

Epic Fail

vincentw

Yep, Lucinda is definitely at the top of my list of favorite singer/songwriters, male and female. And while her voice can be described as rough (JJ-esque, even?), I submit that it is not 'weak," as I've been using that term in this discussion. Saw her in concert for the first time just a couple of months ago--I was shocked by the power of her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LzobiJfios&feature=related

As for an artist's imperfections- reminds me of the oft-repeated and very wise statement to the effect of "Our style is the product of our limitations."

Indeed!! [thumbup]

I love Lucinda but reading lyrics from a sheet has always been a pet peeve of mine. It's time to work...get those lyrics memorized please. This goes for the boys out there too. [sneaky]

I bet AnneS is a lot better singer than she claims. We know she's got a hell of an ear for guitars.

Yes, Anne has a very good voice; she's being modest. But we've heard it and it's a good one.

This is such an interesting topic but the boss is coming down the hall so I gotta scoot! Be back later!

Looks totally unrehearsed.

He does move the mic stand closer to the monitors and put his hand up at one point, which is quite often a signal to the monitor guy to turn it up. So he might have had problems with sound.

I guess he would be disappointed at this performance to say the least.

Madman_Greg

I've been thinking about this since replying yesterday... I agree that it sounds completely unrehearsed. I actually really like what they were TRYING to do, it's just abundantly clear that they didn't get it done. The harmonies were so far out, and the time was so far out that I wonder if they could even hear themselves. EVERYONE needs to rehearse...

I agree with everybody about singers with character vs. technical chops. My favorite singers are guys and gals like Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Joe Strummer, etc., etc.. People who would never make it on any Simon Cowell TV show, but millions listen to their songs anyway. There is just something interesting and LIVED in their voices.

I'd like to hear this again after a couple of weeks of rehearsal and with a good monitor mix.

Cheers,

Chris

I've been thinking about this since replying yesterday... I agree that it sounds completely unrehearsed. I actually really like what they were TRYING to do, it's just abundantly clear that they didn't get it done. The harmonies were so far out, and the time was so far out that I wonder if they could even hear themselves. EVERYONE needs to rehearse...

I agree with everybody about singers with character vs. technical chops. My favorite singers are guys and gals like Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Joe Strummer, etc., etc.. People who would never make it on any Simon Cowell TV show, but millions listen to their songs anyway. There is just something interesting and LIVED in their voices.

I'd like to hear this again after a couple of weeks of rehearsal and with a good monitor mix.

Cheers,

Chris

I'd like to hear his studio version (does anyone know if he ever recorded this?). I bet it would be great.

Yes, Anne has a very good voice; she's being modest. But we've heard it and it's a good one.

This is such an interesting topic but the boss is coming down the hall so I gotta scoot! Be back later!

Thanks, Karen; that's sweet of you to say- [blush]

It is a hit-or-miss thing for me, but playing out at a weekly open mic and picking up a few small-scale gigs once in a great while has me relying on the character card--and quite happily, too. Technique and talent aside, I am finding that my love for the material comes through to my "audiences," and when I keep that in focus, I don't go too far wrong.

And, I'm having an unlawful amount of fun in the process. [smile]

Archived