Gibson Brands Forums

What would be your next Gibson ?

EuroAussie

AFAIK the trade of madagascar rosewood is still legal, there are no barriers on export like for brazilian...

Its still legal to export because the government in Madagascar is so corrrupt. They have opened up areas for harvest that have been previously banned...as long as they get their cut of the cash. The harvest of logs has had a huge impact on the whole ecosystem of the island as well as the local culture.

Here are link to a couple articles...

Madagascar's Peirced Heart

Madagascar's Logging Crisis

Its still legal to export because the government in Madagascar is so corrrupt. They have opened up areas for harvest that have been previously banned...as long as they get their cut of the cash. The harvest of logs has had a huge impact on the whole ecosystem of the island as well as the local culture.

Here are link to a couple articles...

Madagascar's Peirced Heart

Madagascar's Logging Crisis

I am aware of the level of corruption in African states, and the logging scandal, I also heard that Gibson was somehow involved. Personally, if I were at the head of a great guitar industry, I'd try to buy some land there where I could harvest and plant new trees in order to keep the situation in equilibrium, I think this is what was done in the Val Di Fiemme for the famous red spruce, in any case there are many Gibson guitars whose specs still indicate MRW, so I wonder if they still have reserves.

Besides that, there's always cocobolo and ziricote...I hope.

AFAIK the trade of madagascar rosewood is still legal, there are no barriers on export like for brazilian...

The restriction is self-imposed. Henry (the CEO) decreed that Gibson would no longer use Madagascar rosewood (no matter how it was obtained) last year, just as he decreed that Gibson would no longer use Brazilian (no matter how it was obtained) in 2003.

-- Bob R

I am aware of the level of corruption in African states, and the logging scandal, I also heard that Gibson was somehow involved.

Gibson was raided by agents of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in full SWAT team paraphernalia, around a year and a half ago. Some Madagascar ebony (not rosewood) was seized, and there were what amounted to public claims that the seized wood had been obtained illegally -- the violation having to do with lack of a proper paper trail, as opposed to the wood being of a species that cannot be obtained legally. (Apparently, Gibson bought the wood from a well-known dealer in Germany who is suspected of "laundering" illegally harvested Madagascar hardwoods. So the speculation is that Gibson got some paperwork with the wood, but that it's bogus. Based on my minimal understanding of the relevant statute, not realizing the paperwork was forged is not a defense, but this hasn't been tested in court. It may also be the case they didn't get all the paperwork, bogus or not, that is now required. Who knows, as USF&WS isn't offering any details.)

No charges were filed, so, after a year, Gibson filed suit to get their wood back. An attorney for USF&WS testified in Federal court that they were planning to file charges against Gibson "real soon now", and needed to keep the wood as evidence, so the ruling went against Gibson. That was over six months ago, and still no charges. Maybe we'll find out exactly what the deal is when and if Gibson ever gets its day in court.

-- Bob R

Archived