Gibson Brands Forums

Styx, Foreigner and Journey!

LarryUK

Just back from the above concert at the LG arena (NEC) Birmingham.

The sound was AWFUL!! All muddy and bass. The drums hurt your ears and you could hardly make anything out. I put it down to the sound engineer as all the groups were bad. I thought Journey would be better but it was all drums and guitar. When Neil Schon played bass notes they vibrated the building. Really dissapointing. Great stage set up too.

So, you made a Journey to see a Foriegner, and it blew, when you could have gone camping and started a fire by rubbing two Styx together......

But with Journey I could have had a torch and 'Schon' a light.

It's funny. All I can remember of the songs are the Foreigner songs. Journey's sound was that bad.

Mind you. I saw Toto in the same building about 12 years ago and that was a poor sound too.

I wouldn't say Journey are past their prime. Neil Schon is a superb player. Arnel Pineda is a great singer. The bands were ok. It was the sound. Can the yanks send those marines that got Bin Laden to get the soundman?

Thank you for that Mr. Guitarest. I hadn't thought about them guys in a very long time.

I've seen 50 odd Allmans shows, best one EVER was the new Molly Hatchet opening for them. Betts was absolutely on FIRE and Gregg sang every thing he was supposed to sing.

But man, them Hatchet fellers just romped all over the joint. It was interesting to see them, at the time their hit was Dreams, a Gregg song them guys hadn't done in quite a while that I knew of, so I guess it was a wonder as to if Hatchet do that or not. So they went off for their end of opening and the lights stayed down so they were coming back, not TOO unusual for an opener to encore back then. And then the smoke machine started covering the stage and the lights were bluer than I've ever seen them and that lean on the E opening of Dreams started. Astounding good stuff, I've never forgotten that, I can smell the...well, marlbls I guess. In short, they tore that thing up. I didn't see the Allmans do that song until the 90s!

Thank you.

rct

Journey, Foreigner, and Night Ranger are coming to Nashville. I saw Journey there a couple of years back with Cheap Trick and they sounded great.

Here is a song from their last CD. It sounds like classic Journey to me.

Archived