Gibson Brands Forums

Google ad to fakes

adius

I start the day by reading my Google page and specifically, set Calvin and Hobbs for a AM chuckle. Google will insert ads when you return to their site after the fist view - I sometimes copy the strip to send to a friend - and today there was an ad for Tang, home of fake guitars. msp_cursing.gif So, as we know, Google tracks my interests and then links to relevant ads, is seems there may be an issue there. If I was Gibson, I'd want to know that. Maybe they do. I found being linked to a company that violates US patents and copyrights odd to say the least. msp_confused.gif

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
... So, as we know, Google tracks my interests and then links to relevant ads, is seems there may be an issue there.

Yet another reason I do not google. Ask.com. [thumbup]

. I found being linked to a company that violates US patents and copyrights odd to say the least. msp_confused.gif

Thoughts?

One more reason.

Google and the Chinese deserved each other. The Chinese, got the better bargain. Google laid down with fleas and now complain about the itch.

Wait a minute! Where are Tang guitars made? :-k Hmmmmmmm I figgered it out and I ain't no rocket scientist.

...Google cant do anything about that business aside from removing them from there Adsense database, yeah its pretty stupid, but I think we are SOL about them doing anything.

Wouldn't that be SOR?

Anyone who's ever had TANG as a kid is now a potential victim........[flapper][scared] :unsure: ....

Seriously though, I've seen that " Company " advertized on legitimate forum sites......

Pissed me off.....

I too, was very dissapointed in a website I frequent, which I don't think was a google ad even. If they can afford premium advertising like that then they must be making a killing on the knock off market.

Here is the offending ad, with no links visible.

267315_10150226745763704_502293703_7107098_1547730_n.jpg

I agree, but like everything else its a major problem with our society. People complain about Individuals out of work and how the economy suks while they go to a discount store to by loads of cheap import crap. Funny thing I read the other day at the Smithsonian in the gift shop loads of "I'm a proud American" and other American products; yet all of those products "Made in China".

Same here Guitarest, one of the most shameless blatantly patriotic stores in Canada is called "Roots" and it's got this down to earth trendy vibe where they charge 5 times more for their clothing because it's got "Canada" written all over it. On the inside tag it says "Made in China" though. This is the same company that made the Canadian team's olympic gear a few years back.

That's why I was supportive of Josh at Atlas Stands here, once I realized what he offered and how he was doing it I was totally ready to support local "North American" business.

Ok ok you win. [lol]

I still stand by the fact that me or you could easily build one of those.

Look, we both appreciate Gibson's which as far as I know are typically made out of wood, and require a lot of indepth work because woodworking is a skill. You could probably make something not dis-similar, but there is a great deal of propritary knowledge that goes into making those stands, and the degree of customization and self Josh puts into it makes it a one-of-a-kind.

It's a piece of furniture, made to your specs.

Although if you're interested I think you should try and make one you'd feel comfortable putting a 50 lb, 1000$ amp on and see how it goes [razz]

I did a lot of finish carpentry through university and I recognize the details and appreciate them.

Sadly its not Googles fault for these ads. The way it works is those ad spaces are usually purchased by real companies and sold to another until it gets to the actual company who sold that ad. This is usually a very small company who knows what the ad is going to be used for although they can claim being innocent. This is also how the malware ads for Vista Anti Virus 2011 on real websites like CNN, Hotmail, and many others.

Same old story, "Our house, our rules, our equipment, Not our fault when things go bad." [sneaky] Just another big corporation, claiming ignorance [huh] and no responsibility [-( when they hold all the cards and the ability to make things right. :P

Again... this is why I do not google. B)

• 2 months later...

Ok ok you win. [lol]

I still stand by the fact that me or you could easily build one of those.

Hi Dem00n, I'm sure there are very capable people, more capable than I, who can do what I do and do it better. I am with Brandon, and I would like to know how you feel after you give it a shot.

Start from rough sawmill hardwood lumber.

Use no SPF, no screws,no nails, no brackets, only wood and glue to hold it together.

When you're done it has to hold over 400 pounds, the whole process from sawmill lumber to polished hand-rubbed high gloss finished in less than 40 hours.

Show us what you got and I'll happily bow my hat to you with the most respect I've ever shown anyone. I implore you, I beg of you to give it a shot, document the build with pictures, and then comment on your experiences with your build...

I'll even buy it from you when you get done. If you give it an honest well documented attempt and are not happy with your end results I give you one of my stands for free.

Sincerely,

Josh

Hi Dem00n, I'm sure there are very capable people, more capable than I, who can do what I do and do it better. I am with Brandon, and I would like to know how you feel after you give it a shot.

Start from rough sawmill hardwood lumber.

Use no SPF, no screws,no nails, no brackets, only wood and glue to hold it together.

When you're done it has to hold over 400 pounds, the whole process from sawmill lumber to polished hand-rubbed high gloss finished in less than 40 hours.

Show us what you got and I'll happily bow my hat to you with the most respect I've ever shown anyone. I implore you, I beg of you to give it a shot, document the build with pictures, and then comment on your experiences with your build...

I'll even buy it from you when you get done. If you give it an honest well documented attempt and are not happy with your end results I give you one of my stands for free.

Sincerely,

Josh

[biggrin][thumbup]

lol, anywy, Dem00n, no hard feelings, just being a joker here. If you ever want to take it on I'll stand good for it, but this stuff is expensive and I don't have that kind of cash. believe me, if I did I'd buy you a wood shop. Until then be safe, and all my best to you.

Josh

Yeah i know. Your stands are starting to grow on me. I guess i can see why people like them.

As long as you start making EMG guitars, were cool. :unsure:

Archived