Gibson Brands Forums

SEX and Gibson Guitars

ol fred

Have to agree with you on the ugly! Never seen one before.

Methinks Wily might be doing the same as I am. I've spent most of my time lurking without logging in recently. I'm still working on my remodel and getting ready for the Never Sweat Jam this Sat. But....I also have issues with a few of the thought police... Oh gosh, union busting guitar straps. Heaven forbid that a particular Gibson is not your favorite, and for God and Queen make sure you pay your taxes.

I seem to remember Wily quoting Rodney King not long ago. "Can't we all just get along?" For those with control issues, from my point of view....get a life, or at least your own forum. There is no need for bashing regarding opinions or abilities. We're here for sharing our love for a particular product line and the joys that music brings us.

Nope ... but based on that neck it should definitely be a Wileys Ugly guitar of the week contender.

btw: where is he ??

I played one for a while last night. Close up the guitar is surprisingly good looking and the fit and finish were impeccable. It's an L-00 sized guitar with maple back and sides. The one I played was not particularly loud. I would not recommend it if you are going to play without amplification in front of a large audience. It was however, very articulate, good note separation, nice tone and very playable.

Thanks Jerry,

As I said I had never even seen one before, but then, I don't get out much anymore. It does look like something OWF would be interested in.

I played one for a while last night. Close up the guitar is surprisingly good looking and the fit and finish were impeccable. It's an L-00 sized guitar with maple back and sides. The one I played was not particularly loud. I would not recommend it if you are going to play without amplification in front of a large audience. It was however, very articulate, good note separation, nice tone and very playable.

Nope ... but based on that neck it should definitely be a Wileys Ugly guitar of the week contender.

GG said OWF was ok.

Perhaps he ran into an unimpressed and perhaps angry owner of one of the guitars he has has been making laughing stocks of...

No seriously, COME BACK Wiley, there is a huge hole in the forum without you. I assume he is listening...

BluesKing777.

P.S. Have not played that Century guitar.

Close up the guitar is surprisingly good looking ...

Part of the problem is that the interesting variation in color and pattern in the MOTS is really hard to capture in a photo. This pair from Folkway

LCentury-0910-headstock.jpg

LCentury-0910-detail2.jpg

does a pretty good job, but the stuff looks even better than that in person.

Obviously, this is not a guitar that everyone will find attractive. But then there are lots of people out there who think the spectrum of acceptable guitar appearance starts at the Martin D-18 and ends at the Martin D-28. :)

-- Bob R

I have to disagree EA! I am a big fan of the Century of Progress (as for the MOTS, it was popular at the time). I haven't played one yet but I used to have a '36 L-00 and I miss it more and more every day. I would love to see how the maple back and sides mixes it up.

Well I may have erred in saying the Century model isn't very loud. I heard Rar play one with fingerpicks tonight in a large room and it held its own with a banjo!

That's a real tribute to the guitar -- I have to wear picks to get the same volume everyone else does with bare fingers.

-- Bob R

That's a real tribute to the guitar -- I have to wear picks to get the same volume everyone else does with bare fingers.

-- Bob R

Haha, well I dunno. It seemed quiet when I played it but when you played it, it was pretty loud. I think it is fine considering the size.

Archived