Gibson Brands Forums

So what lick gives you the most headache?

rocketman

I'm (slowly) getting through SRV's Rude Mood. It's intense but the lick that is taking me the most time is at the beginning (0:10 mark). I started out slow and it's almost there. I practice it about 10-20 times a day. It WILL NOT defeat me; at least, that's what I keep telling myself. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHVpDwMS2k

Tell us about what lick is driving you crazy these days...

^^This song is next on my list to learn.^^ Right now, I'm working through a Killswitch Engage song. I like SOME metal, with most of my appreciation of it stemming from the musicianship. I recently decided that it would be beneficial for me to learn some metal songs as it would help with speed/expand the repertoire, etc. I was moving along through the song quite nicely until the chorus. Having a bit of trouble with it. Mostly because it's difficult for me to pick out the notes.

I'm nearly positive it's actually quite simple, just gotta find the groove of it, and I'll be set.

I don't know if I have an "ultimate" hardest lick that I've learned off the top of my head, but I had to work pretty damn hard to get a lot of the fills in Sultans of Swing to sound even half-way musical.

Sometimes the licks that seem easy take the longest to learn. It took me longer to get this lick down from The Trees than learning all of YYZ, including the guitar solo. Alex Lifeson probably thought up the lick in about 5 seconds [cursing].

Sometimes the licks that seem easy take the longest to learn. It took me longer to get this lick down from The Trees than learning all of YYZ, including the guitar solo. Alex Lifeson probably thought up the lick in about 5 seconds [cursing].

Well, if you think about it, many classic riffs are the result of being " mistakes. " So, to learn them via music theory isn't progressively condusive....

Yeah SRV, along with most of his blues predecessors didn't know a thing about theory, so that's probably true for a lot of the classic riffs.

With Lifeson, Rush stated that Hemispheres was their first album where the wanted to focus on musicianship, so they certainly knew their theory. They've kept up with it ever sense. For example, Freewill is written using the Lydian mode (first rock tune I've known to use that mode successfully), the solo to Tom Sawyer is in Mixolydian mode, and YYZ is in Spanish Phrygian.

Archived