Gibson Brands Forums

Another fake Gibson?

powerwagonjohn

Check out this E-bay auction #260806602167 It sure doen't look right and for the price you could easly get a real one. Thanks John

I get "item has been removed or is no longer available" when I search for it.

Check out this E-bay auction #260806602167 It sure doen't look right and for the price you could easly get a real one. Thanks John

There was a model with this general configuration, including the unusual headstock. I don't know anything about this model, but there are old photos online showing a very similar guitar.

Fake.

I own a real Gibson CS 346 PJR. There are many things about this guitar that tells me it's a fake. My CS 346 PJR's body is more arched, less boxy. The headstock is more curvy. And finally, these are out of production and are collector items selling for $3-4K.

Jazz

[thumbup]

Fake.

I own a real Gibson CS 346 PJR. There are many things about this guitar that tells me it's a fake. My CS 346 PJR's body is more arched, less boxy. The headstock is more curvy. And finally, these are out of production and are collector items selling for $3-4K.

Jazz

[thumbup]

Yours looks rather newer, though, and more up-market. Did they change the model over time? Perhaps versions with less bling sell for less. And why would anybody fake this model rather than a better-known one with the classic Gibson headstock? Looks like 346s I've seen in videos posted on this forum.

I have never seen a "Custom Shop" logo on the front of the headstock. Also, the Volume knob for the bridge pickup looks a bit out of place. That said, I would be amazed if someone tried to fake this guitar. Is it more possible it is a one-off???

I can't say whether it's real or not, but there aren't really any huge red flags that make it look wildly wrong for the era/model in my eyes. Even the "Ember Glow" color rings a bell... The 'straight pull' headstock was a standard feature of the original ES-336 (note: this is significantly different than the current CS-336) as well as the Paul Jackson Jrs and the Pat Martino model. Same with the tummy cut body and the access panel on back which the current models don't have. The 'more flared' upper horns and wider waist looks typical too. But... an ES-336 isn't an ES-346.

I'm on shakier ground re: the differences between the model this claims to be (older ES336) and the Paul Jackson, Jr (ES346)... but believe the PJ was indeed more upscale with fancier woods and the split-block fretboard inlays, etc. I differ to JazzGtr on that! Not sure if the PJ tops are as thick as this one appears to be in the photo where you're looking into the f-holes, but it's certainly much thicker than the current CS-336 and CS-356 in that area.

Yours looks rather newer, though, and more up-market. Did they change the model over time? Perhaps versions with less bling sell for less. And why would anybody fake this model rather than a better-known one with the classic Gibson headstock? Looks like 346s I've seen in videos posted on this forum.

The Gibson Custom shop did add a little more bling to the model. But it was not structual. The physical dimension stayed the same. The pick guard, the ebony fret board, the gold hardware, the flame solid maple top, etc. were part of the upgrades to the PJR model.

What caught my attention to this fake guitar was structual in nature. This guitar is too "square" (poor sanding) where there should be smoother curves on the head stock. Why would anybody fake this model? Money! If this fake guitar was real, it should have more age marks, dings for it's production period. This guitar looks too new for an older model guitar.

Jazz

[thumbup]

Archived