Gibson Brands Forums

in what key is Hey Joe

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

If you ignore the fact that Hendrix tuned down about 1/4 to 1/2 a tone, the chords to hey Joe are C/Cadd9 G D A E/E7. I now the lead is played on a petatonic blues scale in E forced over the major chord (common in blues) with the addition of a C which is the minor third in the blues scale in A and is the root of the C chord. How the hell does my mates book make the key E minor?

Guest farnsbarns

it seems it would be in E, but something is telling me A

That's interesting, as you know, my theory is pants, I let my ear worry about that. I'm very interested to know what makes you think A.

Guest farnsbarns

Absolutely without a doubt E,I have eaten and digested every song Jimi ever did plus watched countless videos and picked them apart frame by frame.

Cool thanks. I'm interested to hear why, how do you arrive there? Don't get me wrong, I agree but I have no idea why other than I solo it in that E scale but that scale does contain a minor third so I'm wondering if the book could be right. Just looking to learn something.

That's interesting, as you know, my theory is pants, I let my ear worry about that. I'm very interested to know what makes you think A.

the song chord progressions are in 1/5

C to G = 1/5..... G to D = 1/5..... D to A = 1/5.... A to E = 1/5.

Guest farnsbarns

the song chord progressions are in 1/5

C to G = 1/5..... G to D = 1/5..... D to A = 1/5.... A to E = 1/5.

Sorry Duane, I know what you mean but I have no idea why that would make it A. My theory really is that bad.

Starting on C...back-cycle through the circle of 5ths to Edom7

Many theory books will say Edom7 originates in A(being the 5th thereof)

Therefore although it is E Blues in essence

Technically it is A major....

V

:-({|=

Hi Andy, I was hoping you'd join in. Why do you make it E minor?

Do we really want to go there again? ](*,) I will explain if you would like but it is the same reason that Another Thing Coming is in F# Minor and all of the information I provided around The AC/DC song and what key it was in etc...

Archived