Gibson Brands Forums

Connect the "Dot (s)"

musicmaker99

Well, was focused on that Sg Custom I posted about a few days ago but went back to play it again and it just didn't send me over the top like before. So, I filed it away under the "maybe" list (a proper setup probably would've snagged me to buy it)

I have several archtops but not a DOT. Scored this one at GC brand new for $299--busted headstock; really thought they'd discount it more but I loved the way it felt and played. The break is virtually undetectable. Nicely setup--I watched the luthier get it all ready for sale last night. I'm also a fan of gold hardware even though it's a short lived love affair.

The pups on this, '57 Classic alnico "STYLE", are fabulous. No complaints whatsoever. They remind me of P90's when the gains turned up and are warm and well defined/articulate when playing clean. I pounded this baby pretty hard before I bought it and it stayed in tune very well, Fact, is I HAD NO INTENTION OF BUYING THIS FOR $299. I thought it'd be more around $200-$250 (My Gibson 60's Tribute with the repaired headstock was discounted from $849 to $399 at the same GC!) but the more I played it the more I knew I wanted it. :-({|=

p1010001w.jpgp1010005zb.jpg

IT'LL FIT IN WELL WITH THE REST OF THE GANG:

p5230147.jpg

Good for you MM99, lovely burst on that baby, you're certainly on a roll with grabbing more gear, HNGD. Can you post some close-up pics of the damaged area on the headstock, I can't see the problem from those long shots.

What turned you off the G400 Custom, I hope my mention of neck flex didn't weigh on you mind too much, I only bought it up so you'd be aware of the possibility, I didn't want to see you as disappointed as me, not knowing to check for it first.

I'm totally envious of your guitar stands too, here in Oz they cost way too much, $20+ for even the crappiest ones, and shipping from the states makes them prohibitive as well, shipping costs have gone through the roof in the last year or so, as soon as I find a reasonable price I'll be ordering a dozen.

Good for you MM99, lovely burst on that baby, you're certainly on a roll with grabbing more gear, HNGD. Can you post some close-up pics of the damaged area on the headstock, I can't see the problem from those long shots.

What turned you off the G400 Custom, I hope my mention of neck flex didn't weigh on you mind too much, I only bought it up so you'd be aware of the possibility, I didn't want to see you as disappointed as me, not knowing to check for it first.

I'm totally envious of your guitar stands too, here in Oz they cost way too much, $20+ for even the crappiest ones, and shipping from the states makes them prohibitive as well, shipping costs have gone through the roof in the last year or so, as soon as I find a reasonable price I'll be ordering a dozen.

I checked ALOT of MY guitars for neck flex after you mentioned it......hell, they all have it...LOL. The Custom SG just didn't do it for me when I went back (with about a 90% intention of buying it). I'm not sure what it was aside from the action being set rather high. I just wasn't feeling it (am not an SG fan because of the long neck). At any rate, no regrets. It's still there as is the Flame Top Sg I still have on hold at the pawn shop.

Gosh, stands here are dirt cheap! $10 any day of the week and GC has them 2 for $10 during their major sales (like the 4th of July, etc).

Hey, I have a good friend in Oz...lived with me for the better part of year when he was anticipating a divorce. They reconciled and moved back to Adelaide late last fall.

I checked ALOT of MY guitars for neck flex after you mentioned it......hell, they all have it...LOL. The Custom SG just didn't do it for me when I went back (with about a 90% intention of buying it). I'm not sure what it was aside from the action being set rather high. I just wasn't feeling it (am not an SG fan because of the long neck). At any rate, no regrets. It's still there as is the Flame Top Sg I still have on hold at the pawn shop.

Gosh, stands here are dirt cheap! $10 any day of the week and GC has them 2 for $10 during their major sales (like the 4th of July, etc).

Hey, I have a good friend in Oz...lived with me for the better part of year when he was anticipating a divorce. They reconciled and moved back to Adelaide late last fall.

As long as you're happy with the new geet, that's all that matters mate, btw can you post some headstock close-ups please.

I had 6 of those MF stands at $4.95 ea ordered, so a total of $29.70, the cheapest shipping I could (in fact BrianH on my behalf, thanks again Brian) arrange was $72, 2 1/2 times the cost of the stands, bugger that, would have been over $100 just for six el cheapo stands. I'm thinking I might just buy some steel and make up my own, I've got an arc welder hidden somewhere.

HNGD nice lookin' dot.

Which one of those guitars in your wonderful collection is the "go to" guitar?

I ask myself that same question all the time [confused]

I keep trying to convince myself that the Gibson 60's Tribute should be my main player but I just cannot bond with it. Ironically, I much prefer my Epi 56 GT (ironic, because I purchased it after the group shot was taken) and Agile 3100...both of these for action, feel, sound and overall playability. As well, the Genesis is a superb build, easily on par with any LP Standard and those Duncan SH-2 and SH-4 pups are amazing. I play it sparingly though because it truly is in mint condition and I want to keep her that way for posterities sake.

As for archtops the Gretsch 5120 (also purchased after the group shot) and Epi Wildkat for Rock-a-billy and the Old Emperor for Jazz and blues. For flat out effortless playing the Ibanez F-75 (best setup ever and is as it came from the guy I bought it from on CL for $175 wc!).

For heavy pounding, pinch harmonics and gain filled madness I love my MEMPHIS STRAT! It has a rosewood neck that rivals any Fender Strat I've ever played. Recently had the frets dressed and the neck worked on by an expert Luthier (3 others couldn't get this to play properly). I paid $60 for the guitar and $100 to the luthier with the end result being a real players strat that begs to be brutalized! This thing is as heavy as an old LP---it must be close to 10 pounds-and has some of the hottest stock pups I've ever played.

At any rate, I do try and rotate the stable so nothing sits for too long getting stale.

Oh, I almost forgot. Two weeks ago I scored a 1982 ELECTRA X290 for $69. This thing rocks! Nice wide neck (think PRS style) great pups, great ergonomics. I had a Les Paul Style MPC model Electra that I sold years ago on Ebay so finding this Electra was a bit nostalgic for me. What a great find and dirt cheap!

Uh, oh I'm rambling............+:-@

x290.jpg

As long as you're happy with the new geet, that's all that matters mate, btw can you post some headstock close-ups please.

I had 6 of those MF stands at $4.95 ea ordered, so a total of $29.70, the cheapest shipping I could (in fact BrianH on my behalf, thanks again Brian) arrange was $72, 2 1/2 times the cost of the stands, bugger that, would have been over $100 just for six el cheapo stands. I'm thinking I might just buy some steel and make up my own, I've got an arc welder hidden somewhere.

That's really exorbitant shipping, eh?

Headstock pic coming........

That's a pretty good looking repair, I'd be happy with that.

Love the Gretsch, I was just going through my old guitar notes the other day, and had a chance of picking one up for $750, can't even remember why I passed on it now, I think it's coz the dealer was a bit suss.

That's a pretty good looking repair, I'd be happy with that.

Love the Gretsch, I was just going through my old guitar notes the other day, and had a chance of picking one up for $750, can't even remember why I passed on it now, I think it's coz the dealer was a bit suss.

I got really lucky on mine. A guy on CL was selling this one for a friend and was asking $500 with HSC. I offerred him $400 and he took it! Still had the case candy inside! I love the sound...very different from Epi pups.

Off to bed...taking the cat in for a haircut later this morning.

Just sold this relic on Ebay last week........what a distortion monster!!!

img9632s.jpg

Yeah, that $750 was for a new one, which just seemed too cheap, I think I suspected a fake and just let it slide, from memory the dealer was located in the Phillipines or Indonesia, which just raised more alarm bells. It was over two years ago, and my memory isn't that great, but I think that was the deal.

Archived