Gibson Brands Forums

horrible way to go

This_Dying_Soul

Unfortunately it's a fact of life out here in New Brunswick that moose will eventually try to cross busy highways.

My neighbor had a similar accident last year and was lucky to survive.

I knew this guy also. Years ago, his band used to play a weekly gig at the bar just up the street from my current home and they invited my band down to play a few songs during their breaks. It started out to be almost a weekly thing for us, then eventually we were appearing at their other gigs too. We didn't get paid, except for a few free beer; but they helped us get our foot in the door with the local clubs. A hell of a bassist and a super nice guy.

RIP Pete, your friends and family and those of us who knew you through New Brunswick's music scene will miss you.

My link

Here in Michigan, the whitetail deer population has seemingly reached an epidemically high level. I have collided with five in the past seven years or so, and have had many other close calls. We were making the final three-hour stretch of a very long road trip a week ago on I-75 and there were deer grazing all along the highway. Very scary. I'm driving 70mph...it's dark...and I'm just hoping to make it home (we had been on the road 16 hours that day)...and flying past me is a guy on a crotch-rocket motorcycle - must have been doing 85-90...how long is a guy like that going to live?

Very sorry for your loss.

A close friend of mine lost her sister who hit a dark-colored horse on a remote Wyoming highway one night. The horse fell through the windshield of one of today's "normal-size" but small cars. Ranchers' pickup trucks in that region of the world usually have extra steel grate-style bumpers added because hitting large wildlife or livestock at some point is almost guaranteed at least once in the vehicle's life.

As to speed of travel, I had a highway patrol friend who noted that in daytime he'd never given out a speeding ticket - reckless driving, yes, but not speeding per se if the vehicle was in good shape, had good vision, good road condtions, etc. At night? Two miles over and you had a ticket because he felt that even the speed limit was overdriving headlights and he didn't like investigating horrid "accidents" caused by hitting livestock, wildlife or other obstructions on highways.

m

This will sound horrid perhaps, but if it didn't hurt, it ain't all bad. Tragic perhaps for those left behind, but...

m

This is true. A more detailed article came out in our local paper today where the police said both Pete and the moose were killed on impact. At least he didn't suffer.

The music community here is reeling over it though. He was very well respected and well liked.

Yupper...

It's always tougher on those left behind. Just after I turned 15, my mother was killed in a car wreck. I remember people saying, "Oh, that poor woman," and I was already thankful she hadn't had pain in her passing, and that it was those of us left behind who were hurting. I was a bit more selfish at the time thinking of me, but I think it was harder on my Dad, my little sister and little brother at the time.

A friend back then had some 18 months of watching his stepfather, the "Dad" who raised him after his father was killed in WWII, go very slowly from cancer. The circumstances made it far easier for me to lose a parent than for him.

Some years back, this community lost a longtime respected pro musician. A benefit concert for her kids was held that was a celebration of her life and art...

m

Yupper...

It's always tougher on those left behind. Just after I turned 15, my mother was killed in a car wreck. I remember people saying, "Oh, that poor woman," and I was already thankful she hadn't had pain in her passing, and that it was those of us left behind who were hurting. I was a bit more selfish at the time thinking of me, but I think it was harder on my Dad, my little sister and little brother at the time.

A friend back then had some 18 months of watching his stepfather, the "Dad" who raised him after his father was killed in WWII, go very slowly from cancer. The circumstances made it far easier for me to lose a parent than for him.

Some years back, this community lost a longtime respected pro musician. A benefit concert for her kids was held that was a celebration of her life and art...

m

I lost my father to cancer a few years ago. He hung in for 4 years. Eventually it was the fact that after removing 80% of his liver it grew back in the wrong direction and pressed into his kidneys that killed him. The tough part was that every time he was near getting a clean bill of health, they'd find another tumor and put him through more radiation therapy. It was a vicious cycle.

On the benefit concert... one of his former bandmates from years ago is taking an upcoming gig of his and turning it into an "all star jam" and inviting all his friends, family, and local musicians who knew him to come out and celebrate his life. The news of this is very fresh and still in the works - nothing mentioned of it becoming a benefit; but if I go I'll be sure to bring along some extra cash in case they are taking up a collection for the family or his longtime girlfriend. The scene here is very supportive of each other in times like this and I suspect there would be something done to lend a hand paying his funeral expenses.

Soul... good deal...

People don't realize sometimes the pressures and pain for survivors. I personally hope that unless the guy was wealthy, something can be done to help cover expenses, etc.

As for a longtime girlfriend... I'll never forget one couple I knew when I was a kid. They'd "dated" exclusively for over 50 years and never married. I'm certain in retrospect that their wills covered that as closely as though they had the certificate. It all depends.

m

Sorry for you're loss, it's never easy, as we age we lose more friends and loved ones to accidents and disease, war and sometimes from self inflicted causes, the only answer is that we should live each day like it is last one, it will be for someone.

I have a old photograph of one of my best friends holding his two month old son in his arms, I took that picture on a Sunday afternoon, Tuesday morning he was hanging a sheet metal rain gutter on a new movie theater, behind him a team of bricklayers were building a cement block wall, Rick fell off his ladder fell twenty five feet and was impaled on two steal rebar rods. He was 32.

That one really shook me.

Sorry for you're loss, it's never easy, as we age we lose more friends and loved ones to accidents and disease, war and sometimes from self inflicted causes, the only answer is that we should live each day like it is last one, it will be for someone.

I have a old photograph of one of my best friends holding his two month old son in his arms, I took that picture on a Sunday afternoon, Tuesday morning he was hanging a sheet metal rain gutter on a new movie theater, behind him a team of bricklayers were building a cement block wall, Rick fell off his ladder fell twenty five feet and was impaled on two steal rebar rods. He was 32.

That one really shook me.

It's the tragic ones that are probably hardest to accept. In my father's case, it was a relief. As much as we didn't want him to go, he wasn't getting any better and he was better off.

In the case of an accidental death or even a suicide - it's harder because there is no time to prepair yourself mentally like there is when someone is terminally ill. Both scenarios are still hard to deal with but for different reasons and for the terminally ill, death is an end to the suffering.

Here in Newfoundland the moose population has exploded since they were introduced by the government in the 1920s. They have no natural predators and sadly their only threat the wolves were killed off by 1927.There is now a class action suit by moose/vehicle accident victims against the government for damages.Government has only paid lip service to this huge problem but now is patting themselves on the back by putting 8 miles of moose barrier fences on one small stretch of our thousands of miles of highway.

So sorry to hear of your friends tragic death,my thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

I'd read about that problem in Newfoundland. I think there's a good enough reason for the class action suit there since the moose was an introduced species. Unfortunately they existed in New Brunswick long before the highways existed. The province is also trying to put up these moose barriers along our highways, and when they eventually get them in place along ALL the thousands of miles of highway, it might work... except then you have these things trying to find a way around the barrier to get to the other side of the highway - and where there's a will, there's a way.

This whole situation must be hitting really close to home for one particular former bandmate of Pete's that I also jammed with on a few occasions. His brother, who happens to live across the street from me, had been involved in a nearly identical accident last year. The difference, his brother survived. If you can call a lengthy hospital stay and several surgeries so he can walk again LUCKY, he was extremely lucky.

Our Bluegrass community lost a well traveled member to cancer this spring. While I didn't know her that well many did. Our paths didn't cross too often. At the visitation (wake) many of those who jammed with her showed up with their instruments. They jammed for a couple hours. The family was most appreciative. The funeral director had never seen such a thing and was quite moved. After the jamming at funeral home wrapped up, the musicians moved to one of the dearly departed's favorite jam venues down the street. They played until the wee hours of the morning.

"Who Will Sing For Me

Oft I sing for my friends

When death's cold form I see

When I reach my journey's end

Who will sing for me

I wonder (I wonder) who

Will sing (will sing) for me

When I come to the cross on that silent sea

Who will sing for me

When crowds shall gather round

And look down on me

Will they turn and walk away

Or will they sing one song for me"

No better tribute to a musician than to sing for them.

Archived