Gibson Brands Forums

Addicted to Heavy Metal?

dem00n

' the Swedish government will subsequently provide financial aid to help 42-year-old Roger Tullgren attend concerts. '

Well that's a result and no mistake! Problem is, how many bands play Sweden?

Dude, metal is huge in Sweden. Ever hear of Entombed, Meshuggah, Candlemass, Bathory, In Flames, Amon Amarth, Opeth, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, Carnal Forge, Marduk, HammerFall, or...um...Yngwie Malmsteen? Gothenburg has a big melodic death metal scene (so that now "melodic death metal" and "Gothenburg metal" are practically synonymous in the metal press) and Stockholm has a reasonably large black metal scene (in fact, I would argue that black metal started in Stockholm, because Quorthon was the first to really make music in a style that was recognizable as black metal--as opposed to Venom who may have coined the term, but were really nothing more than thrash metal with Satanic lyrics.) In fact, this sort of thing probably happened in Sweden as opposed to elsewhere in part because metal has a certain amount of mainstream appeal in Sweden.

As for the article in question...um...I wish I could get those sorts of benefits for something that silly and trivial... [biggrin]

' Dude, metal is huge in Sweden '

Obviously know Yngwie and even saw Venom in '85 but aren't those bands Black, Doom or Death metal?

I'm old school as 'metal' to me is Maiden, Saxon, Ozzy, Motorhead, Metallica, Sabbath etc

I know Scandinavia is well into Black metal.

I just replied to your comment dem00n, lol.

I cant believe it, like I have been a metal head for 11 years now, I do not look like a metal head cause I don't freaking well play dress up. I am not a famous rockstar and I have nothing to compensate for so that was never really a side of metal I got into, I do wear a crap load of band t-shirts but they are not all metal bands either, they all are black though that's one thing that doesn't seem to change. Today its Ozzy from his Black Rain tour, some kid told me it was scary this morning [thumbup]

Aug 3 - Exodus, Rob Zombie, Slayer

Aug 4 - Amon Amarth

Sep 22 - Arch Enemy, Devil Driver, Skeletonwitch, Chthonic

Oct 13 - Opeth, Katatonia Happening

Thats just the metal shows, mixed in there is Blink 182, Foo Fighters and Judas Priest. I betcha I goto more shows then that Swedish chump! I did skip out of the Children of Bodom show last month and from what my buddy told me it was actually pretty good, but meh.

Obviously know Yngwie and even saw Venom in '85 but aren't those bands Black, Doom or Death metal?

I'm old school as 'metal' to me is Maiden, Saxon, Ozzy, Motorhead, Metallica, Sabbath etc

Metal is metal. I don't think of one style as any more or less metal than any other. Also I'm certain that "classic" bands play in Sweden on their international tours, and probably like playing to Swedish audiences.

in norway i heard its one off the biggest cultural exports

in norway i heard its one off the biggest cultural exports

It is in a lot of Europe, its just not that mainstream till you start going further East like Germany and Russia and stuff. Sweden and Norway can be highly credited for the creation of Black Metal with some of the first bands such as Bathory, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir yadda yadda yadda.

It is in a lot of Europe, its just not that mainstream till you start going further East like Germany and Russia and stuff. Sweden and Norway can be highly credited for the creation of Black Metal with some of the first bands such as Bathory, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir yadda yadda yadda.

wast venom the first black metal band

wast venom the first black metal band

Venom and Bathory were the first two (Venoms was first in 1982 with "Black Metal" and Bathory in 1983...as far as I know from 79-82 Venom was only cited as Heavy/Thrash Metal), then the others followed. Vemon however does get credit for the first use of the term black metal as I believe there second album is titled "Black Metal" I dont like really putting the title of first, second, third to anything if I dont have to because who really knows how much influence each band had, no place for me to judge :P

Honestly, I've always thought of Venom as speed/thrash metal, whereas I've thought of Bathory as more of the identifiable beginning of black metal--the point at which you could listen to that album and go "yeah--there's no denying that this is black metal." Venom were raw and heavy (basically the heaviest thing around at the time, except for maybe Hellhammer,) but still in an early thrash sort of way. Hellhammer is definitely pretty black, but the vocals are still more of a hardcore shout than a black metal shriek, and lyrically/thematically they definitely have more in common with death metal. The thing is that Bathory, especially the debut until Under the Sign of the Black Mark, or perhaps Blood Fire Death if you prefer, was arguably the most extreme of all of the so-called "first wave" artists. I recognize more of Venom in thrash metal bands like Kreator and Sodom than I do in Bathory or any of the later black metal artists.

Also, I tend to think that many are a little too quick to make the assumption that, because Venom's second album was called Black Metal, that they must have been a substantial influence on Bathory. Quorthon has stated explicitly in numerous interviews that his primary influences in the early days were Motorhead and GBH, along with some influence from Saxon and early KISS (interestingly enough--and, eventually, he did actually cover some KISS songs here and there.) He has said over and over again that when he was working on the early Bathory albums he hadn't owned a single Venom or Slayer album--a statement which I believe, because I don't think he would be the kind of person to need to validate his status as the "creator" of black metal. He clearly didn't care much about his place in the history of metal, save that he didn't like people to think he was influenced by Venom.

When we get into the second-wave Norwegian scene, where black metal really began to be established as a subgenre with its own set of musical traits, it's clear to see that artists like Mayhem and Emperor were heavily influenced by Bathory and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, (likely as well as Venom to some extent.) Varg Vikernes (Burzum) was definitely influenced by early Bathory, but in his music there was more of a noise/industrial influence as well, which shows itself as early as his first demos. In general, the early Norwegian black metal scene, above other things, ended up differentiating itself from the thrash influence that most metal of the time had developed from (as we all know, death metal can be traced back to thrash metal acts such as Slayer and Kreator,) with some acts (such as Burzum, Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, Ulver, etc.) adopting the more industrial-influenced aesthetic, and others (Mayhem, Carpathian Forest, and especially Darkthrone) going further back to an enthusiastically primitive and heavily hardcore-influenced aesthetic.

And...um...that's the end of my lecture. TL;DR I don't consider Venom to be black metal, even though they may have coined the term.

I just replied to your comment dem00n, lol.

I cant believe it, like I have been a metal head for 11 years now, I do not look like a metal head cause I don't freaking well play dress up. I am not a famous rockstar and I have nothing to compensate for so that was never really a side of metal I got into, I do wear a crap load of band t-shirts but they are not all metal bands either, they all are black though that's one thing that doesn't seem to change. Today its Ozzy from his Black Rain tour, some kid told me it was scary this morning [thumbup]

Aug 3 - Exodus, Rob Zombie, Slayer

Aug 4 - Amon Amarth

Sep 22 - Arch Enemy, Devil Driver, Skeletonwitch, Chthonic

Oct 13 - Opeth, Katatonia Happening

Thats just the metal shows, mixed in there is Blink 182, Foo Fighters and Judas Priest. I betcha I goto more shows then that Swedish chump! I did skip out of the Children of Bodom show last month and from what my buddy told me it was actually pretty good, but meh.

You aren't saying Priest is not metal, right?

Honestly, I've always thought of Venom as speed/thrash metal, whereas I've thought of Bathory as more of the identifiable beginning of black metal--the point at which you could listen to that album and go "yeah--there's no denying that this is black metal." Venom were raw and heavy (basically the heaviest thing around at the time, except for maybe Hellhammer,) but still in an early thrash sort of way. Hellhammer is definitely pretty black, but the vocals are still more of a hardcore shout than a black metal shriek, and lyrically/thematically they definitely have more in common with death metal. The thing is that Bathory, especially the debut until Under the Sign of the Black Mark, or perhaps Blood Fire Death if you prefer, was arguably the most extreme of all of the so-called "first wave" artists. I recognize more of Venom in thrash metal bands like Kreator and Sodom than I do in Bathory or any of the later black metal artists.

Also, I tend to think that many are a little too quick to make the assumption that, because Venom's second album was called Black Metal, that they must have been a substantial influence on Bathory. Quorthon has stated explicitly in numerous interviews that his primary influences in the early days were Motorhead and GBH, along with some influence from Saxon and early KISS (interestingly enough--and, eventually, he did actually cover some KISS songs here and there.) He has said over and over again that when he was working on the early Bathory albums he hadn't owned a single Venom or Slayer album--a statement which I believe, because I don't think he would be the kind of person to need to validate his status as the "creator" of black metal. He clearly didn't care much about his place in the history of metal, save that he didn't like people to think he was influenced by Venom.

When we get into the second-wave Norwegian scene, where black metal really began to be established as a subgenre with its own set of musical traits, it's clear to see that artists like Mayhem and Emperor were heavily influenced by Bathory and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, (likely as well as Venom to some extent.) Varg Vikernes (Burzum) was definitely influenced by early Bathory, but in his music there was more of a noise/industrial influence as well, which shows itself as early as his first demos. In general, the early Norwegian black metal scene, above other things, ended up differentiating itself from the thrash influence that most metal of the time had developed from (as we all know, death metal can be traced back to thrash metal acts such as Slayer and Kreator,) with some acts (such as Burzum, Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, Ulver, etc.) adopting the more industrial-influenced aesthetic, and others (Mayhem, Carpathian Forest, and especially Darkthrone) going further back to an enthusiastically primitive and heavily hardcore-influenced aesthetic.

And...um...that's the end of my lecture. TL;DR I don't consider Venom to be black metal, even though they may have coined the term.

Do you also belive Seven Churches was always Thrash Metal?

Cause when i listen to it, it just sounds Thrash. Then you go listen to Scream Bloody Gore and that sounds like real Death Metal.

You aren't saying Priest is not metal, right?

Yeah, I was about to say...saying Priest isn't metal is kind of like saying parrots aren't birds. [blink] Even Slayer and Death covered JP's material.

Do you also belive Seven Churches was always Thrash Metal?

Cause when i listen to it, it just sounds Thrash. Then you go listen to Scream Bloody Gore and that sounds like real Death Metal.

Yeah, I do actually consider Seven Churches a thrash metal album. It may have been influential upon death metal (like Raining Blood and Pleasure to Kill--two albums which, IMO, would be great death metal albums if they only had growled vocals,) but it's definitely thrash metal. I also halfway consider Massacre's From Beyond somewhere between death and thrash, although certainly more towards death metal.

Curiously enough, I know some guys who think of Scream Bloody Gore as a thrash metal album. I think of it as pure, true death metal. Go figure.

Archived