Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Up Covers

ne14t?

So I hear that the metal pickup covers can make your tone a little bit darker, which I could see being possible as the pickup is a huge magnetic field and your sticking a chunk of metal into a magnetic field, now is the tone difference really noticeable? I ask this because after watching my Zeppelin DVDs last night I noticed on Jimmys 59 he had a cover on the front pickup and had the cover removed from the rear pickup.

Jimmy%20Page.jpg

And it looks like it isnt just ONE of his guitars either! Thats pages Burst collection, ALL of them have this cover configuration. Whats your take boys, and dont get all biased cause I used Jimmy as an example he is just the only one I have seen do this, personally I cant really see it doing much but I have never tried; however seeing him do it makes me wonder it it was tonal or purely aesthetic.

It seems that could alter the tone a bit... I like my neck pickup to run really clean, where if its true, the added treble of the bridge pickup without the cover would add a bit more gain without having to change any settings... Not sure. I always thought it looked weird

Eeesh... This one seems to get the debates working. Some will swear it makes no difference in the world. Some ( like myself) can hear the difference ( at least in my own personal test case) as I have swapped them on and off of my SG and it makes a noticeable improvement to my ears but what the hell do I know?.....

I'm out....

I prefer the look of covered pickups......Uncovered, IMHO, do have a bit more bite...........

P-90s come metal and plastic covered; there is a difference in sound.............

Tele pickups do sound better with the nickel-silver covers, and not all Tele PU covers are nickel-silver........IMHO...

Eeesh... This one seems to get the debates working. Some will swear it makes no difference in the world. Some ( like myself) can hear the difference ( at least in my own personal test case) as I have swapped them on and off of my SG and it makes a noticeable improvement to my ears but what the hell do I know?.....

I'm out....

Debate is where its fun though! I have wanted to say it sounds brighter but for all I know my mind could just be making it sound brighter cause I want to. Was just something that always made me wonder, of course it ultimately comes down to preference, I like the looks of open coils personally.

Archived