Gibson Brands Forums

Meet Ren Ferguson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

modoc_333

I have to say He Is Aging quite graciously . :) And I'm glad , I read he has some arthritis in a hand .

but I'm glad he is still looking quite nice for a man in his 60's :) . God Bless his soul

Gee, Juan Carlos, there are a bunch of us in our 60's on this forum. Life doesn't end at 40, or 50, or 60, or even 70. Les Paul played pretty well for a long, long time, you know. I may not be Les Paul, but I still like to play. And then there's "geezers" like Jorma K and EC. And Keef. And Pete Townshend, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, the arthritis in my hands can make things difficult. That's why God invented "vitamin I". That's ibuprofen to you young guys.

• 3 weeks later...

How about the Luthier's Choice J35 in terms of specification and tone?

Here are the specs:

J-35 CUSTOM DETAILS & SPECS

• Top Hand Built & Signed By Ren Ferguson

• Signed Certificate & Letter of Authenticity

• Red Spruce Top & Mahogany Back & Sides

• Custom Hide Glue Internal Bracing By Master Luthier

• Historic Fabric Internal Stays

• No 17th Fret Dot (Historic feature)

• Custom Shop Darker Antique Natural Lacquer Finish

• Vintage Open Slotted Bridge

• Bone Nut & Saddle

• Waverly Nickel Tuners

• LIMITED TIME OFFER

• EXCLUSIVE TO FIVE STAR DEALERS ONLY

As for tone, see bullet #1. There are only 11 being built, grand total.

-- Bob R

Hey folks ... I was there and if you should have the chance to catch Ren (or any such demonstration as this) ..... Do it!!!! A very down to earth and practical guy ... full of information but not full of himself. Great part of the presentation was to hear the many guitars at the store being played in turn ...... all as Ren explained a point or answered a question about that particular guitar or some aspect of the guitar. The two hour "talk" went by in a flash. Thanks to Bailey Brothers .... lucky to have them in the area.

JD

Thank you very much rar for the information of this J35. The specification is really interesting, but only 11 been built.

I do envy everyone who was there with a really good chance to talk with Ren. I can imagine when jdd707 described the atmosphere of that day.

Thanks for the picture and update, Modoc_333. I'm glad the event was a success, and you had such a good time with Ren. I met him accidentally, in Bozeman, before I even owned a Gibson guitar. Even though he was leaving the factory for the day when I bumped into him (and was not fully aware who he was), he went out of his way to show me show me some cool things that weren't included in the tour, answer my questions, and pose for a picture. He is a very gracious man, and seems humbled (and maybe slightly bemused) by the attention given to him.

That J-35 looks awesome, too (thanks for the specs, RAR). It seems like a "Legend" model in spec, if not in name. I have the "Luthier's Choice" neck profile on my Fuller's J-35 (so I was told), and it's very beefy but surprisingly comfortable. The Fuller's is such a great sounding guitar, I can only imagine what the "Luthier's Choice" model sounds like. If they're not all sold by October, I'm hoping that Fuller's will have one at the Arlington, TX Guitar Show (the largest in the US).

Red 333

Glad you liked the event JD! we were super excited to get him to come down. He is so full of knowledge and such a nice guy. I feel lucky to know him personally. He is a good friend to have :) as for him being down to earth.... i had him sign the back of my headstock and he thanked ME for letting him! that's just the kind of guy he is.

We already sold our J35.... just an amazing piece. I knew it wouldn't hang around long.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, I've got the J35 Luthier's Choice with no.10.

I've checked with Bob Burns, Gibson customer service, and the certificate. This model was only 16 made in year 2011.

I love sound of this guitar and it quite different from SJ/TV that I have. I will keep her best.

• 2 months later...

I work for a Gibson Montana 5-Star dealer (Bailey Brothers Music) in Birmingham, AL. ..

Thank you for your post !

But btw, I visited this 5-Star dealer site (www.baileybrothers.com ?). But there is no single new Gibson acoustic guitar !

I'm at a loss, wonder why.

URL:

http://shop.baileybrothers.com/c-21-6-string-acoustics.aspx?SearchTerm=&SortEntity=&Min=0&Max=0

Check, please to see if it's true.

Thank you for your post !

But btw, I visited this 5-Star dealer site (www.baileybrothers.com ?). But there is no single new Gibson acoustic guitar !

URL:

http://shop.baileybrothers.com/c-21-6-string-acoustics.aspx?SearchTerm=&SortEntity=&Min=0&Max=0

gotomsdos, their website sucks, but the store is great....I just bought a J 200 there, I think they had over 20 gibsons there along with a lot of other high end guitars.....it is the best guitar store that Ive been in

URL:

We already went over this in the Dealer versus Internet Dealer thread: They're a 5-Star dealer, but not an Authorized Internet dealer -- most 5-Star dealers aren't -- so they are not allowed to advertise their stock on their website.

-- Bob R

We already went over this in the Dealer versus Internet Dealer thread: They're a 5-Star dealer, but not an Authorized Internet dealer -- most 5-Star dealers aren't -- so they are not allowed to advertise their stock on their website.

-- Bob R

that's the answer. We really prefer to have you come in anyway. It's more personal, you can get better service, and we make sure you get the guitar you will be most happy with. If you can't make it in, then send me a message on the board, or email (check my profile).

-Keith

gotomsdos, their website sucks, but the store is great....I just bought a J 200 there, I think they had over 20 gibsons there along with a lot of other high end guitars.....it is the best guitar store that Ive been in

I appreciate the praise! It was good to meet you and I am glad you are happy with it! Come back to pick on a few any time you're in town! :)

Archived