Gibson Brands Forums

Fake strings

LarryUK

"However, although the packaging of fake strings may be good, the strings themselves are by no means up to D'Addario quality - they are mostly made by unskilled workers using inferior materials and outdated equipment and certainly do not have the quality control one would expect from a top quality string maker."

This is pretty rude to make such a huge claim for not even knowing or seeing the factory or manufacturers process of "knock off strings" and how the hell do you know the workers aren't skilled. I am sure the people at D'addario are all certified professional metallurgist's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_MVOZnhLVc

That's how D'addario strings are made (Thanks Discovery Channel) not that complicated of a process, and there equipment looks pretty outdated to me. A guitar string is a freaking guitar string the only real difference is Metal vs Nylon. I really want to get a set of these knock of strings and a set of real ones and compare them, pretty sure there would be zero difference, only time I find strings make a difference in sound is when you change gauges.

"However, although the packaging of fake strings may be good, the strings themselves are by no means up to D'Addario quality - they are mostly made by unskilled workers using inferior materials and outdated equipment and certainly do not have the quality control one would expect from a top quality string maker."

This is pretty rude to make such a huge claim for not even knowing or seeing the factory or manufacturers process of "knock off strings" and how the hell do you know the workers aren't skilled. I am sure the people at D'addario are all certified professional metallurgist's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_MVOZnhLVc

That's how D'addario strings are made (Thanks Discovery Channel) not that complicated of a process, and there equipment looks pretty outdated to me. A guitar string is a freaking guitar string the only real difference is Metal vs Nylon. I really want to get a set of these knock of strings and a set of real ones and compare them, pretty sure there would be zero difference, only time I find strings make a difference in sound is when you change gauges.

I have pretty much used D'addario strings since I started playing. XL 120's and XL110's. There was a period of time I was getting them ( different places and times) and regardless of what guitar or what I did they just wouldn't hold tune very well. I finally started really looking at them and used a magnifying glass and found they had winding defects and some other little weird flaws I had never encountered before. I finally wrote them about it and gave them the different lot numbers and they sent me some new strings. Haven't had any problems recently.

Andy

Which is why i buy Dunlop, never had a problem yet. Though the guy talking about guitar strings say they arent hard to make is talking out of his ***. Go to guitar center and ask what their cheapest string's, they will give you this no brand name stuff thats horrible...

I'm suprised here.....Why and how would ANYONE condone the use of fake and counterfit strings ?????

Strings are made to exacting specs.....And, as we all know, our individual choice of string brand, type, guage, etc

are very unique, and such.......S.S., nickel coated S.S., pure nickel, nickel alloys, etc etc etc......Are FAKE Gibbys

and Epis and Fenders acceptable to us members here ??? No......How does one know what FAKE strings are made from ???

One doesn't.....ALL string wear down frets, and affect tone.........FAKE strings are not cool at all...........IMHO.............

I think I got a bad batch once. I ordered off the internet for my 2 Rics and within days they started to rust and sound like crap. Worst strings ever.

One of the them was my 360 12 string which is a real pain in the behind when it comes to string changes.msp_cursing.gif

I wasn't condoning the use of fake strings I was politely telling you idiots to not be so damn cheap and go into a RETAIL store and purchase your strings or guitars don't go on the internet cause its such a screaming deal...well its such a screaming deal because it is a fake, like come on this is buying crap off the internet 101. Remember when your parents told you "if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't true." Since the nice way didn't work I broke it down pretty simple for ya, hope everyone can understand that without getting offended, but probably not.

Right from the mouth of Jim D'Addario "Most counterfeiters supply their products online If you see an unbelievably low price advertised for any of our products, there is a very good chance the products being offered are not genuine." This doesn't apply to D'Addario strings, it applies to pretty much everything.

Why is this? BECAUSE YOU CANT POLICE THE INTERNET...really sad that a young kid such as myself understands this better then some of you older guys. Give your heads a shake guys.

[scared] [scared] [scared] [scared] [scared] [scared] .......Not even my cat calls me an idiot.......

Its directed to nobody personally I have no reason to make personal attack on anyone here nor would I want to, its just open to all internet purchasers naive to this fact, like I said I dont but stuff off the web cause I am so leery of knock of stuff, especially since I deal with a couple Chinese manufacturers themselves; however only ISO 9001 certified stuff. But whatever its nothing to really fret about. Yep guitar pun right there.

Archived