Gibson Brands Forums

lite weight tuner knobs

EvoRider

Do they make them that will fit a epip g400 i have noticed the orginals are heavy and i would like try to make it less neck heavey..... Any ideas :-k on were i can find them? I have noticed on angus youngs the look like plastic cream ones can i find them for my sg will the gibson style work on epiphone?

Do they make them that will fit a epip g400 i have noticed the orginals are heavy and i would like try to make it less neck heavey..... Any ideas :-k on were i can find them? I have noticed on angus youngs the look like plastic cream ones can i find them for my sg will the gibson style work on epiphone?

Kluson Tuners are slightly lighter than Grovers, however their fixture is different so more holes are required. However neck dive will still be possible...

The best solution to stop neck dive is to either use a leather/grippy strap or ad a weight into the control cavity

UPDATE: Gibson Grovers require no modding, however kluson tuners have slightly larger shafts than on an Epiphone.

Also while I think about it... Do we have any news on a "TRIBUTE" SG with gibson hardware?

I am with snakey on this one. Klusons are lighter and won't look out of place being that they are used on various Gibby models. But they wouldn't just pop right in there, some minor modifications will be required.

Klusons

SD90SLN.jpg

Kluson Tuners are slightly lighter than Grovers, however their fixture is different so more holes are required. However neck dive will still be possible...

The best solution to stop neck dive is to either use a leather/grippy strap or ad a weight into the control cavity

UPDATE: Gibson Grovers require no modding, however kluson tuners have slightly larger shafts than on an Epiphone.

Also while I think about it... Do we have any news on a "TRIBUTE" SG with gibson hardware?

I am with snakey on this one. Klusons are lighter and won't look out of place being that they are used on various Gibby models. But they wouldn't just pop right in there, some minor modifications will be required.

Klusons

SD90SLN.jpg

Cant i just replace the knobs with lite weight ones? Instead changing the whole tuners..

simple answer NO

Grover tuners use screws to attach onto a Square connection you can change the heads but theirs noting similiar to Kluson models out their

Just plastic "Kidney" shaped options and a few T shaped ones...

The "Crown" shape is only on Gibson tuners setting you back $70-100

Kluson tuners are wound onto the shaft glued and in at the same time, once their on they never come off...

Kluson tuners are wound onto the shaft glued and in at the same time, once their on they never come off...

The green tulips are molded to the shaft, they are actually created with the shaft already inserted, no screwing or gluing takes place at all.

Cant i just replace the knobs with lite weight ones? Instead changing the whole tuners..

Like keep the grovers and replace only the buttons...hmm dunno, <strokes beard> i suppose it would be possible but i don't know if it would save enough weight to be noticable....only one way to find out.

Just wondering if anyone has moved the strap strap pin to where the Epiphone G-400 SG Tony Iommi's is. It looks a bit out on it's own there (not much wood). I was checking where the balance point was on my SG the other night and a strap pin on the horn somwhere would stop it being neck heavy.

Archived