Gibson Brands Forums

498T/490R pups in Epi SG400?

ozzymbs

Hey guys, I was told by a friend that Gibby 498T/490R's would sound great in my Epi.SG 400. Does anyone know of a guitarists that uses these pups

in a Gibson or Epiphone SG that I can listen to, to check out the sound. I noticed a couple of people on here have these pups in their SG's. If you guys that do can give me some input on them it will be greatly appreciated. I like the stock pups but I'm looking for something with a little more clarity of single notes when really jamming on some power chord progressions. Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Thanks.

High output pickups with ceramic magnets are usually best for hanging on to the clarity when you are using high gain.

Di Marzio super distortion is a well known one for example. It all depends on what kind of music you play and what amp you are using.

I used to have a Gibby LP studio with 490r and 498t pickups.....and i really liked them, they are quite versatile giving usable cleans through to Metallica tones.

Hey thanks guys. @Bigneil...As far as the type of music I play,well, I'm a huge blues fan but I also love to play classic rock such as Motley Crue,

GN'R, and all those other 80's hair bands and even some Metallica. I guess I was kinda wondering if the 498T/490R pups would mix well with those different styles of music, meaning blues ( Albert & B.B.King,Magic Slim, etc) and the 80's rock thing. I'm looking for some dirty and some good clean, I guess..haha. Thanks alot to you both for the info.

Hey thanks guys. @Bigneil...As far as the type of music I play,well, I'm a huge blues fan but I also love to play classic rock such as Motley Crue,

GN'R, and all those other 80's hair bands and even some Metallica. I guess I was kinda wondering if the 498T/490R pups would mix well with those different styles of music, meaning blues ( Albert & B.B.King,Magic Slim, etc) and the 80's rock thing. I'm looking for some dirty and some good clean, I guess..haha. Thanks alot to you both for the info.

For your requirements they'd be perfect all rounders!

Well first of all everybody has their favorite PU but the 498t and the 490r sounded great in the 1995 LP studio I had.Another decision when upgrading PU's is if you want alnico or ceramic magnets.The alnico sound more authentic,warm like an older LP where the ceramic mag's are a bit more biting with more gain 496r 500t are a great pair for heavier rock for,they put them in the Gibby LP classic.

My opinion as we all have one would be to go with a 57 classic in the neck and a 57 classic plus in the trebble position.At the moment(although I'll probably sell it soon)I have a limited edition SG with factory EMG's,an 81 and an 85,what a pair of active screaming pickups.Just go with what you think sounds the best to you.

I love the 490R/498T combo, personally. I have them in my 1994 Les Paul Standard and had them in an SG Gothic that I no longer have. They sounded very similar in the two guitars, but as you can imagine the Les Paul was a wee bit thicker and the SG had a little more bite.

I agree with the others that these are good "all around" pickups for playing a variety of different styles. They have a bad rep in some circles because they don't sound just like PAFs, but I can get both very nice, chimey cleans and a lot of grind/sustain out of them. I think they do a pretty good job of keeping their definition under overdrive/distortion.

I put a couple of samples of how those pickups sound like on my Gibson Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash in the following thread:

My link

Maybe that'll help.

And by the way, the playing is crap, but it may be of some help to you.

Hey guys, I was told by a friend that Gibby 498T/490R's would sound great in my Epi.SG 400. Does anyone know of a guitarists that uses these pups

in a Gibson or Epiphone SG that I can listen to, to check out the sound. I noticed a couple of people on here have these pups in their SG's. If you guys that do can give me some input on them it will be greatly appreciated. I like the stock pups but I'm looking for something with a little more clarity of single notes when really jamming on some power chord progressions. Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Thanks.

The set is so good that even with my SG Special I put in the 498t in place of the 490t.

talk about balls growing.

I can't tell you what a difference it made.

Definitely would wake up a G-400 with the 490r/498t

Do It!

Thanks alot to all of you who have replied, your input really helps me with my decision. I believe I'm gonna give them a shot. No matter what the outcome, they gotta be better than stock so....@ xaj: I'm sorry but I couldn't get your link to play. Been having trouble with my PC lately but I will continue to try. Thanks for your efforts anyway. I hope you all have a ROCKIN' good day.

@ Bigneil: Hey man, I checked out your link and I gotta say, that doesn't sound bad at all. I liked the sound of the guitar and your playing is not bad either. I'm gonna start putting a little money back here and there and go ahead with those pups. I really appreciate everyones input on my post. It's people like you that reminds me that there is still good people in the world, those that will help out another without expecting some kind of monetary gain in return. Thanks alot to all of you and as always...ROCK ON.

Archived