Gibson Brands Forums

amp problems

fl00dsm0k3

Guest farnsbarns

Hmm, sounds like a tube head with a guitar connected but no cab. Except about 1000 times loader. The lower level crackle sounds like a loose connex tion on the output too. Do you have an effect loop? If yes, try a cable from out to in, what does that do.

I can only offer clues, it doesn't sound good, I think it might be a job for a tech. May e someone like Andy might be better help.

I am afraid I don't know what you could do. Guitarist answer is about the closest I can thing of, the only thing is it could be anywhere in the circuit-a blown resister or a shorted cap would cause an unwanted ground.

If you care to check, it might be worthwhile to check all the connections you can get to-maybe have a look inside and see if you see anything loose. CAREFUL what you touch. You could probe with a pencil and move wires around to check.

Most SS amps are going to be more complex in a lot of areas then a tube amp, and harder to narrow down if you don't know what to look for and no equipment to test it with.

I would check the obvious first-speaker wires, reverb pan wires, make sure you don't have junk in the back of the cab, just to be sure you aren't wasting a trip to the tech. It may be cheap to fix, but then again it may be time to tell mama it is time for a new amp.

One thought-check the reverb connections, make sure they are right. Might even try unplugging the reverb tank both at the tank, and the amp if you can.

Are you plugged into a guitar, (or mic) in that video? The high pitch is microphonic "feedback,"

and the crackle is a short, at some point. Check your guitar lead (cord), step back or

turn away from the amp, with the guitar. IF it's not the guitar (causing the feedback)

and/or you're not plugged in, at all...you will need to take the amp in, and get it tested.

Sounds (to me) like a (feedback) loop, combined with a short, of some origin. As mentioned,

check all obvious wires, first...carefully. Certain guitar pickups can go microphonic, as

well. They'll need wax potting, to eleminate, or at least greatly curtail that. But the

crackle, is definitely a short, of some kind.

CB

i had that same sound, and it was a bad cable hooked up to my reverb tank. a 3 dollar aux cable from radioshack solved the problem. of course, i had to take it to a tech and get it inspected, got a tube change, so it ended up costing me 153 dollars...

This is solid state so he won't need a tube change. If he gets charged for a tube change then... well...

My guess is a bad transistor but I don't work on SS amps so it may well be a simple wire going to the reverb?

Are you plugged into a guitar, (or mic) in that video? The high pitch is microphonic "feedback,"

and the crackle is a short, at some point. Check your guitar lead (cord), step back or

turn away from the amp, with the guitar. IF it's not the guitar (causing the feedback)

and/or you're not plugged in, at all...you will need to take the amp in, and get it tested.

Sounds (to me) like a (feedback) loop, combined with a short, of some origin. As mentioned,

check all obvious wires, first...carefully. Certain guitar pickups can go microphonic, as

well. They'll need wax potting, to eleminate, or at least greatly curtail that. But the

crackle, is definitely a short, of some kind.

CB

it is pluged into my wilshire but it soounds the same with no cable in it

Guest farnsbarns

My first proper job was to run a large network in a large office building. All the PCs were AST (I don't think they exist now). The monitors had a common fault with a loose connection in the gun unit. Twice a day I'd get a call from someone saying the colour had all gone funny. I'd walk up to their desk, wallop their monitor on the right hand side and walk away again without ever looking at the screen.

Archived