Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting L-4CES Find

msr13

My local shop had this hanging on the wall at a great price. It's an L-4CES, but it looks like an L-4C (without electronics) with a P90 put in. Sounds great, wonderful in fact. It has a moderately nice unplugged tone, and a heavenly plugged in sound. I like the simplicity of no tone controls. And, it is about a pound lighter than my 175.

This is my first P90-- I hadn't known what I was missing. [biggrin]

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

I have not seen a L-4CES with a bound headstock or a rosewood fingerboard. L-4C came with a rosewood fingerboard but I have never seen a bound headstock. What year is it from? Very interesting guitar. Nice find.

Thanks John

Thanks for all comments above.

It is a 2001. My assumption is is was a custom order, as it was made in Nashville. Although, I am not sure if all of them are made in Nashville. The only thing, though, is Gibson has no record of it as anything out of the ordinary. They have the completion date recorded, the ship date recorded, the quality sign off, but that is it. No indication it is anything other than stock. There is also no indication of its finish. The Gibson guy thought that was funny, too. He had me email him some pictures and they are looking into it. He did assure me that it wasn't a fake, however. An interesting, albeit unimportant, mystery.

Thanks for all comments above.

It is a 2001. My assumption is is was a custom order, as it was made in Nashville. Although, I am not sure if all of them are made in Nashville. The only thing, though, is Gibson has no record of it as anything out of the ordinary. They have the completion date recorded, the ship date recorded, the quality sign off, but that is it. No indication it is anything other than stock. There is also no indication of its finish. The Gibson guy thought that was funny, too. He had me email him some pictures and they are looking into it. He did assure me that it wasn't a fake, however. An interesting, albeit unimportant, mystery.

Nice that you were able to confirm it's origin. Have to say that is really one outstandingly beautiful Gibson. Congratulations!

My local shop had this hanging on the wall at a great price. It's an L-4CES, but it looks like an L-4C (without electronics) with a P90 put in. Sounds great, wonderful in fact. It has a moderately nice unplugged tone, and a heavenly plugged in sound. I like the simplicity of no tone controls. And, it is about a pound lighter than my 175.

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

Hi, You're guitar looks really great. A couple of comments. I own an L4 CES Mahogany and my tailpiece is more like an L5 CES. The tailpiece on this guitar is the same as an ES 175. The other comment is that the volume controls where no tone controls are installed are usually standard Gibson style nobs put on either the pick guard or body. A wheel volume control under the pick guard is either an after marker mod or part of a Custom shop special order. It is very unusual for Gibson to use a wheel volume control. Also the fretboard on my L4 is ebony. ES 175's have Rosewood.

However the key will be what is written on the label inside the body. What does it say?? Btw here's my L4 CES :-

94096da4.png

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

Just a couple of further comments. The pickup position is consistent with an L4 and its very interesting to get a wooden bridge. I'd love to hear the sound of this guitar but its really mouth wateringly good. I'd love to own it!

Alan

• 3 months later...

CPR on an old thread. I was cruising past posts and had to say you've got a real beauty there. I'm in the market for a hollowbody and have been debating between the L-4 and L-5. I'd prefer the single pickup so I'm leaning toward the L-5, but that L-4 of yours would be my choice without a doubt if I came across it.

Again, nice find...you've got a beautiful guitar there.

That is clearly a fake. I'm afraid you've bilked. In order to track down the culprits and see that they are punished, I'll need to study the evidence further, dust for prints, etc. PLease ship it at once to me and I'll take care of everything. If it is, in fact, a fake, I'll have it destroyed immediately. If it proves to be genuine, I will keep it under quarantine for the requisite 5 or 6 years, then return it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Archived