Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: J-200 Standard Natural

drathbun

Frank from Fishman is an aboslute legend and he always answered all my many queries within 24 hours. Best CS in the business in my opinion.

OK I have a couple of answers regarding Gibson warranty and the Fishman Aura.

According to Long and McQuade (Canadian Distributor of Gibson guitars), Gibson does not warranty their products if you live outside of the US. If you buy from a dealer the states and bring the guitar to another country or if you buy from a Gibson dealer anywhere in the world, they will not warranty their product. Long and McQuade's parent company, Yorkville Sound in Toronto deals with all warranty issues if you buy from L&M in Canada. I don't know if that means they will handle sending the product to Bozeman for repair or replacement or whether L&M will do all the repair work themselves. All I know is, there was no warranty card with my guitar and no way for me to send my serial number to Bozeman to register it.

It sounds fishy to me. I know my Rickenbacker bass, Fender Strat and Taylor 12 string acoustic are all fully warrantied for the life of the instrument with their respective companies. They are all made in the US guitars.

Speaking of fishy, I received a very complete and friendly letter from Fishman about the Aura Ellipse pickup and the USB port. The port is closed off because there is no need to change the images for the SJ200 as the images for this exact guitar are already built in. I thought there might be other microphone combinations available in the future but apparently the images are custom made for this guitar. This is what Frank Padellaro of Fishman had to say:

"In the case of an OEM Aura, installed at the factory, we have already created images from that exact guitar model and the manufacturer (along with Fishman) has selected the best resultant matches to include on the factory device. The factory Fishman product is then locked with those images. Why? Because there are no better images to be gained. Hooking the product up to the computer to download images can only create worse results, not better. So, the factory installation of your Aura product is already optimized for your guitar, and can't (and shouldn't) be connected to your computer for alternate images."

It is nice to see direct customer support from companies like this. It makes you want to do business with them again! :)

Thanks folks! I was having a private convo with OWF about the flame on this guitar. We both agree that you don't see this kind of flame on Standards much at all. So I'm particularly pleased. I know I opened the case when it arrived at L&M, closing my eyes and thinking to myself... please please be a nice flame! And the sucker has flame out the ying/yang! I'm fascinated by how the wood shimmers when you move it around in the light... like one of those creepy 3D comic book covers!

That is a very nice example of a J200 = congrats to you sir! Complements to your playing also... Every SJ/J 200 that I see has its own unique figure and flame to the Maple, all beautiful, and I especially like the natural finish on these, the wood really stands out & the patina only gets more beautiful as it ages and darkens. As for the sound, oh my B) Enjoy!

It sounded just like I knew it would :D .

your voice is very nice too .

Loved the singing and playing thanks Drathbun . Do you have more stuff on youtube ?

take care

JC

Thanks JC. Yes I have a few vids on my YouTube channel. They are with my SWD, Taylor and Rick 12 and Rick Bass. The Rick 12, of course, is no longer in my possession.

Wow....beautiful guit. How's it feel / sound in comparison to your SWD?

In terms of feel/playability, the SWD feels easier in my hands. The neck shape is smaller. I haven't put the calipers on it yet but I'm sure the profile of the SWD neck is smaller than the SJ200. Of course, the SJ200 is a much larger guitar to put your arms around. I've also put medium strings on the SJ200 so it certainly feels much stiffer than the SWD with lights on it.

As for the sound, they are two completely different guitars. The SWD has a mellow richness and clarity that will keep me coming back to it for fingerstyle. The SJ200 just rings out with each note whether it is fingerstyle or hard strumming. It has powerful projection and a huge sustain. The sound sparkles in the high end and just growls in the low end. It is truly striking to hear even when you're not facing it. I can't wait for it to open up! I might have to wear ear protection!

Archived