Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Epiphone Les Paul real or fake?!

IanMak3103

BTW, isn't this the real Gary Moore signature Les Paul??

Its actuallly this http://www.abalonevintage.com/1959_gibson_Les_Paul_standard_peter_green_gary_moore_greenie_greeny_w.jpg

You have the BFG version.

I want my own unique look so I didn't go down that road. All I need is a good quality Gibson guitar to give the peter green mod treatment to and preferably have a 59 C profile neck

EDIT Now that RED one I WOULD LOVE!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epi Customs have

Binding: 7-Layer body Front and Back, 5-Layer headstock, 1-Layer fingerboard

Don't you think there is something wrong....with your guitar :-k

Its a little yellow yes and the front has 1 extra binding it seems.

Is their anyone from EPI that can totally confirm if I have a genuine or fake Custom Plus?

But thanks for the response [thumbup]

SDC11390-1.jpg < NOW SDC10766.jpg < ORIGINALLY

Just a few extra pics...

Unless Epiphone made a special run of Custom Bursts for someone, they were discontinued in the first half of 2008. As far as I am aware, none of that model was ever released with a non letter prefix serial number and they made the sn change over in mid 2008 to completely numeric serial numbers.

That's a shame if it is indeed a fake GMT. However, look on the bright side, at least you will still have all of those upgraded parts and you could just install them all on a "legit git" and make it killer.

I don't know how long it will be until Gibson get back in touch with me, but if its come to it.

I probably will be GUTTING the thing a rough valuation of £365 for the parts! [scared]

At the very least it will GREATLY help towards either a Gibson Studio or the Epi Tribute Plus (Could mod one of the push pulls to get the reverse magnet)

Update I'll get this one if its confirmed...

6bcb640a-2bce-4fd1-b63d-ecb078231a33.jpg

Pro Burstbuckers & a D 1959 Neck I can't complain... (Same price as Tribute Plus too!)

To tell the truth GMT I wouldn't get rid of the old one, if it's been a cherished guitar up till now, why should anything change just because it's not genuine, it's the same guitar right, who cares about the name on the headstock, not me. I've actually got 3 guitars that have absolutely no name on them anywhere, they are cheap Chinese copies of popular models, a Strat, a '72 Thinline Tele and a Gibby ES-345, after giving them the treatment they are all exceptional guitars and some of my favourites, and I have some big brand name guitars worth up to $5,000 that I'm not as happy with.

By the treatment I mean, new nut, bridge, pickups, shielded wiring, pots, push-pulls on the buckers, and a proper setup, basically just a rebuild, now each guitar cost me between $100 and $350, I spent between about $100 to $200 on each of them. For example, the Strat cost less than $200 all up, and it's a terrific guitar, has Wilkinson pups, stainless steel roller saddles, Tusq nut, new plastic bits (pg, knobs, switch tip) and GFS locking tuners, it's a tremendous guitar, the equal of any genuine Fender I have, and I have over a dozen of them.

I have 60 guitars of all different price ranges, so I do know the differences when I say they are as good as any of them, a link to most of my collection is in my sig, check it out.

To tell the truth GMT I wouldn't get rid of the old one, if it's been a cherished guitar up till now, why should anything change just because it's not genuine, it's the same guitar right, who cares about the name on the headstock, not me...

Thanks for the response [thumbup] I'll have a think for a few days and then make a decision then. Edmittedly it has 2 issues that always bugged me

# It was HARDER to play pentatonics on

# I get some feedback from the electrinics (Partially due to the mod using the "Earth" wire)

So its honestly not my favourite but it was the one I spent the most on...

Thanks for the response [thumbup] I'll have a think for a few days and then make a decision then. Edmittedly it has 2 issues that always bugged me

# I get some feedback from the electrinics (Partially due to the mod using the "Earth" wire)

I can sort of relate to your pain, especially when you've spent that much on upgrading it.

However, as others have said, if you really liked it, and have done so much to it, it's not much point not to keep it.

Also, I still think, whether it's fake or not, it's still a brilliant looking guitar! [thumbup]

I don't know how long it will be until Gibson get back in touch with me, but if its come to it.

I probably will be GUTTING the thing a rough valuation of £365 for the parts! [scared]

At the very least it will GREATLY help towards either a Gibson Studio or the Epi Tribute Plus (Could mod one of the push pulls to get the reverse magnet)

Update I'll get this one if its confirmed...

6bcb640a-2bce-4fd1-b63d-ecb078231a33.jpg

Pro Burstbuckers & a C 1959 Neck I can't complain... (Same price as Tribute Plus too!)

I thought about getting an LP Studio a while back (I ended up getting my Riviera and a mandolin instead). The music store in my town actually had 3 of them for sale and I played them all. I didn't care for any of them. IMO they leave a lot to be desired, especially cosmetically. If I had the choice between a Gibby LP Studio and a high end Epi LP with upgrades, I'd take the Epi for sure. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I had a go of an Epi version of the above not long back and it just shouted BUY ME! sadly it has since been sold.

For me its all about the feel & the output and based on my V the Pro's are Clear as day and have lots of crunch to boot!

I personally loved the feel of the neck as I was playing it with no poly to stop my hand moving...

I'll go in tommorow and check out an SG version in my local Dawsons just to be sure first (Only GuitarGuitar & Andertons have stock)

snake-fail.jpg

LOL, so it looks like you don't agree with me. That's ok. [biggrin]

But I really like the photo. You see, a snake eating it's own tail has been a very important POSITIVE symbol for quite a long time. It has absolutely nothing to do with "Fail", and I'm actually very happy and flattered that you used it to describe me! [biggrin]

If you're interested in a quick introduction into what that image of yours really means, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

Live and learn!

So WAS it a fake??? LMAO Is it worth $1,138.60????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Gold-Cherry-Gary-Moore-/160642175148?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item25670510ac

It was posted up (for the gibson studio) before that it was surgested it was fake

I'm awaiting confirmation still from gibson but I have already said I will be selling it for parts if its confirmed.

But to be honest until its confirmed to be a fake or not it is best I pull the auction for now...

Update: Removed.

I listed it at that price as the Tribute plus was £599, but obviously mine has ALOT more gibson parts on it...

I listed it at that price as the Tribute plus was £599, but obviously mine has ALOT more gibson parts on it...

The guitar is also ALOT more suspicious. It seemed like you had pretty much acknowledged that it was a fake after the others pointed out the problems and you were still trying to sell it anyway. Not cool. [thumbdn]

The guitar is also ALOT more suspicious. It seemed like you had pretty much acknowledged that it was a fake after the others pointed out the problems and you were still trying to sell it anyway. Not cool. [thumbdn]

Fare enough, I should have removed it their and then, but that was my stupid error I guess. #-o

So again sorry [crying]

Snakey,

not20cool20notcool20unc.jpg

... at all [thumbdn]

EDIT:

Already suspected by the Member to be a fake guitar, details were last updated on eBay on 25 Aug, 2011 13:34

Entry on Member Profile on 25 Aug 2011 - 17:21

:( Looks like my signature guitar may be a glorified copy covered in Gibson parts. If it is a fake its a good fake but like my SG I don't feel like I wanna keep it if it is indeed one...

Member posted in this thread on 25 August 2011 - 10:12 PM = 22:12

...I'll have a think for a few days and then make a decision then.

Auction ended by Member on eBay on 26 Aug, 2011 - 22:18 (24 hours later)

Archived