Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire Pro or Worn 66

Malchik

I'm gassing for a Wilshire real bad, and I'm going to buy one. Now, which one is the communities favored?

Which guitar has the better build and finish? My guitar store will have to order one, so I want to know which guitar is the best. I hear great things about the Indonesian reissue, but the Chinese version is significantly cheaper, and has a glass finish.

I'm so unsure.

I bought one when they first came out as the Custom Shop Limited Edition in white. Bought it from MF for $249 shipped with hard case! That was only in late 2009 and they've gone way up since then. Not sure where that one was built, but I can tell you the build quality was fantastic. I wasn't a huge fan of the pickups so its on permanent loan to my niece. I'm sure if I had given it a little more time with the right amp and some pickup height adjustments they would have been fine. Of course, pickups are one of the easiest swaps there is!

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the Worn 66 just for it's better vintage vibe. The minihumbuckers would be a real treat. I like that they put a spring on the vintage tremtone, unlike the original.

I assume this guitar is pressed mahogany with a thin veneer. The finish looks like a type of resin.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the Worn 66 just for it's better vintage vibe. The minihumbuckers would be a real treat. I like that they put a spring on the vintage tremtone, unlike the original.

I assume this guitar is pressed mahogany with a thin veneer. The finish looks like a type of resin.

NOT!

See: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Doublecut/Epiphone/1966-Worn-Wilshire-Tremotone/Features.aspx

I've played several, at my dealer's. All were very nicely made, finished, and played really well! Mini's sounded great, through both a Orange Dual Terror, and Fender Deluxe Reverb. [thumbup]

Edit: (Added) One thing, I forgot to mention, ALL the Worn Wilshire's I

tested, unplugged (at first), were very resonant "Lively," when played

that way. Plugged in, they were great, too. Of course, I love "mini-

humbuckers," too. ;>)

CB

NOT!

See: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Doublecut/Epiphone/1966-Worn-Wilshire-Tremotone/Features.aspx

I've played several, at my dealer's. All were very nicely made, finished, and played really well! Mini's sounded great, through both a Orange Dual Terror, and Fender Deluxe Reverb. [thumbup]

CB

Yep, it's solid mahogany. I love the part of the title on that page that says "Now With Whammy Power!". LOL

Archived