Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Locks?

1956 ES-150

My apologies if this isn't in the right area...

I recently purchased a 1956 ES-150 in excellent all-original condition. My dilemma is deciding on whether to replace the strap buttons with a strap lock system. I hate replacing anything on the guitar since it is in excellent all-original condition, but I'd also hate to have a strap come off and have the guitar crash to the floor.

I would love to get some input from everyone as to whether I should or shouldn't replace the original buttons, and if so, which system do you recommend?

Thanks!

TehBeast,

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation on the Dunlop locks. I was concerned they wouldn't work with the old buttons on the ES-150. They are really small, so I didn't know if the strap and lock would all fit on those small buttons.

I'll get a set and try. For the price, it can't hurt to try!

Jim Dunlop straploks should be a direct replacement for your guitar.

Just keep the old buttons in a bag for if you sell the guitar.

I use some old original push button ones on my Les Paul Studio Lite.

Better having those one than having the Vintage pop away from your strap and come crashing to the ground potentially breaking the neck as well all know it is the Gibson's weak point in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Regrettably the actual Dunlop straplocks do not match. And neither do Schaller, Birkenstock boston, Ernie Ball or Warwic: their own angles are all too wide (by regarding 1 millimeters) to fit inside the small recessed circular flat region on the Ax' body.

It might be possible to make use of these straplocks after all if you use a washer to fill the small dent/recession within the Ax' plastic situation where the base of the straplock button has to match. Gurus Roland if it was ok to get it done like this but they're not really answering my email messages about this.

I guess they don't wan't to burn their fingertips giving advice in regards to a modification towards the Ax, even though you have to do something similar to this particular if you want to follow the guidance from their own manual to set up straplocks instead of the regular straps buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived