Gibson Brands Forums

Speed at last! Speed at Last!

Andy R

OK so I got into computers around 1995. During then and now getting any kind of down up speed has been a struggle, expensive and frustrating. When 56K modems came out my phone lines didn't support it msp_cursing.gif Sometime around 2000 I bought the hughes dish broadband with if I was lucky about 250K down and about 20K up through my phone line.

When I moved still had Crappy phone lines, no DSL, No Cable.... I actually went a few years without any internet connection. I finally broke down a few years back and bough the "Wild Blue" Sat modem. Maybe a Meg down on a good day and 100K or so up... Better than nothing... Oh yeah can't forget about the FAP policy....

So about a year or so ago I notice 3G is lit up on my work phone. Yahoo! Sat modem contract was done and got a mifi... 5gig limit... Spotty and ended up with 2 of them. Maybe a meg down if I was lucky and a 200K up.

Then I "Cough" actually started "Utilizing" my unlimited data plan on my iPhone which I barely used before and had paid for, for 3 years and it worked pretty well... average 3meg down and 1 meg up. ( only got one nasty gram from ATT)

So I long at last have some respectful connectivity. Yahoooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I'm a happy nerd. Take a look! msp_biggrin.gif

The mifi..

file-2.jpg

The iPhone....

file-1.jpg

and what I am rocking now!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and I can hit over 10 Meg on the up!)

file.jpgmsp_love.gif

So I thought maybe it was time we have a Geek fest and talk about our "computer rigs"

Andy

My computer itself, well to be honest it is trash when it comes to graphics of any sort (integrated graphics system, oh god it is terrible, plus for any directX game I have to set the start up to -dxlevel 70 luckily I only play one of them). That being said my connection is almost always pretty strong.

1452274384.png

My computer itself, well to be honest it is trash when it comes to graphics of any sort (integrated graphics system, oh god it is terrible, plus for any directX game I have to set the start up to -dxlevel 70 luckily I only play one of them). That being said my connection is almost always pretty strong.

1452274384.png

Get an SSD drive!!!! I'm loving mine! It like broadband for your OS and Apps!!! I can shutdown and reboot in 12 seconds! Here is the graphics read write and what it supports.....

My original SATA 2 HDD

DiskSpeedTest-1.png

With the SSD on SATA2 ( got another one and I'm going to set it up as a RAID)

DiskSpeedTest.png

If it's graphics related I can't put it in, the integrated graphics system use part of the computer's RAM rather than graphics memory. I can't upgrade it with a better graphics card, it blows.

speedtest.png

Damn Farns! That is some serious download but what is going on with your upload speed? In relation you should be doing at least 10Mb/s up and with your down I would expect more in the 20-30 Mb/s range...

Guest farnsbarns

Damn Farns! That is some serious download but what is going on with your upload speed? In relation you should be doing at least 10Mb/s up and with your down I would expect more in the 20-30 Mb/s range...

Running an FTP server at home, only for friends and family to move large files about, I guess someone was downloading several large file concurrently for it to go that slow though. Usually around 12mbps.

Edit: ie, they're downloading from a pc in my house so as far as my perspective goes it is upstream.

Guest farnsbarns

I should have run a test from one of my commercial servers, they're on tier1 so it's like super fast sdsl it's the same speed up as it is down. I'd have to find and install a CentOS5 browser, if such a thing exists.

Archived