Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight (GOTM 2005)

Xaj

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight (Guitar of The Month 2005)

Saien 2006

Non-Stock

Price: € 700.

Purchased from: Musicstore Koln

Features: Les Paul Custom with a Maple top, all-black hardware, Grover Tuners, Rosewood fretboard, two EMG-81 pickups, 2-volume and 2-tone knobs, and three-way switch.

Sound Quality: Both pickups did work very well, but I changed the neck pickup from an EMG-81 to an 85 just because I prefer the sound that way. The 81 is hotter whilst the considerably mellower tone of the 85 did sit better with my preferences. Other than that, it is an EMG equipped guitar which some may not like. That means that every note rings out very well both clean and distorted but I'll admit that they sound more interesting with high gain amps.

Fit and Finish: Perfect! And I do mean perfect. When I got her, the string height was right, no marks, no blems and the binding does look great everywhere.

Impressions: When Epiphone announced her I needed to get her. I asked the shops in Lisbon but none had them and I got quotes from €700 to €950. I asked to have one reserved in two stores here, but as it turned out they didn't get them. I was going crazy because it took months to finally get told that there was no way to get one of these through a local store and the only alternative was ordering from abroad.

So I started searching on the internet and two websites in Europe had them, both of them in Germany. Interestingly, the cheapest one was Musicstore Koln at €700 and I ordered at a time when they did not have one in stock. They called me saying that they did not have one in stock and wanted to make sure that I really wanted to place an order for it anyway. "Of course I do" and they e-mailed me as soon as they got them (must have been 3 months) and sent it to me. When on the phone with them, I asked for a very good one, without issues, you know, perfect. The guy said that he would look into it and he did. He sent me a stunningly beautiful guitar.

I love the way she sounds through a clean amp with every note ringing clearly. And when you plug her in a Marshall JCM 900 full stack and into the dirty channel, well, I can't help but smile. And when you plug her into a Mesa Triple Rectifier she gets really nasty. I think that you can play whatever you want with this guitar. Sure she'll sound great with a lot of gain but if you plug her into a clean amp, you'll get a crystal clear sound where the only drawback I can see is that every mistake you make comes out very clearly.

Finally, I wish that she came with an ebony fretboard, but I don't mind the way she is.

Pictures:

elpcmback.jpg

elpcmbody1.jpg

elpcmbody2.jpg

elpcmfront.jpg

Beautiful Guitar!!! My First DECENT Electric back in the day was a

Black Gibson Les Paul Custom - fingerprints drove me nuts!! Nowdays,

hey, NO PROBLEM!

Thank you for taking the time to do a Review. These will come in VERY handy

as XMAS approaches... [thumbup]

Archived