Gibson Brands Forums

Off With Their Heads!

TommyK

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110902/ap_on_re_us/us_irene

The article says there will be a government investigation of the power companies. People, apparently, are miffed at the evil power company because they are STILL out of power. "Make them refund 2 days fees for every day without power,!" they demand.

Look folks this is a natural disaster. It's not anybody's fault. When my relatives in Arkansas and Missouri were without power for over two weeks, as a result of a 2" ice storm, there was no blame laid upon the utility companies. The locals knew it was caused by a natural disaster and that the replacement of 300,000 utility poles takes time. They all made due, pooled their resources, cleaned up their own mess, pitched in and helped each other and cheered the day the electricity came back on. When hundreds of downed trees blocked their path to resources, they grabbed their chain saws, hopped in the pick-up truck and made a path. The hardware and grocery stores, were open for business, albeit with flashlight and paper receipt pad, but they figured out how to transact business without power.

I suspect the "Off with their heads" crowd is in the minority.

Hmmm......Hurricanes happen, always will, until the Tea Party regulates them.....I've always wondered, why, it isn't required that once powerlines fall down

after a hurricane or snow storm, that they be put underground.....Perhaps this is too practical, like using solar panels and such.........

Yep, we Missourian's cope with our natural disaster's. Funny how natural disasters in many other parts of the country get big coverage and big government help, but we see very little of it when our rivers flood or big storms roll through. Maybe because we don't loot and shoot our neighbors.

Just sayin' [biggrin]

Hmmm......Hurricanes happen, always will, until the Tea Party regulates them.....I've always wondered, why, it isn't required that once powerlines fall down

after a hurricane or snow storm, that they be put underground.....Perhaps this is too practical, like using solar panels and such.........

This an excellent idea. I can't imagine why it hasn't been done. It should be mandatory. All power lines are under ground.

This an excellent idea. I can't imagine why it hasn't been done. It should be mandatory. All power lines are under ground.

It's hugely expensive and in the current climate in this country there's no way the money could be raised and of course the customers wouldn't want a rate hike to cover it.

It's hugely expensive and in the current climate in this country there's no way the money could be raised and of course the customers wouldn't want a rate hike to cover it.

Build fewer fighter jets or aircraft carriers to pay for it. It would create jobs. It's just stupid to whine about losing power after natural disasters when the solution is staring you in the face. All new power lines in new developments should be underground as well.

Not quite "Shovel Ready"? <_<

As for the original topic, This sort of thing always makes me wonder.

Who is still out of power and why?

Is this out of the ordinary? That is, does it usually take these guys this long to restore power?

If they have time and money to take out a full page ad explaining their lack of response, is there a reason they're so defensive?

Is it really a Nanny State issue, or a "Get what we paid for" issue?

Is it possible that the Power Companies are Incompetent, and what can you do about an incompetent Power Company?

If it's a matter of National Security, can the Army Corp of Engineers come in and help? Or are those without power completely reliant on the possibly Incompetent Power Company?

Let's remember, incompetence steams from inability. If these Power Companies are ill-equiped to handle this disaster, and therefore lack the ability to repair the problem, doesn't that make them Incompetent to handle the situation. By no fault of their own just because they got hit by a bigger problem then they could handle.

So, if a power company get's hit so hard it cannot recover, do we simply let that part of the country go powerless in an effort to keep Government out of our Lives?

A crazy*ss liberal progressive like me would say: "Through tons of gummint money at the problem." But then, I'm crazy. I should know that the answer is of course to keep the gummint out of people's lives and let the market provide the solution.

A crazy*ss liberal progressive like me would say: "Through tons of gummint money at the problem." But then, I'm crazy. I should know that the answer is of course to keep the gummint out of people's lives and let the market provide the solution.

The Public Service Commission here in FLA. ( a hurricane state in case you didn't know) is currently debating whether or not to allow the power company to begin billing us NOW as much as $50 a month for a nuke plant that WON'T BE BUILT OR FINISHED for at least 10-15 yrs. i'll be dead by then. i'd rather pony up a % of that to get the power lines buried so that the next storm isn't so disruptive. seriously, how is this even a contest?

The Public Service Commission here in FLA. ( a hurricane state in case you didn't know) is currently debating whether or not to allow the power company to begin billing us NOW as much as $50 a month for a nuke plant that WON'T BE BUILT OR FINISHED for at least 10-15 yrs. i'll be dead by then. i'd rather pony up a % of that to get the power lines buried so that the next storm isn't so disruptive. seriously, how is this even a contest?

How do you think it will turn out? Here in California we are having a safety issue concerning underground gas lines. A few months back one exploded in a residential area and destroyed a large area and killed a bunch. The ensuing investigation showed a lack of safety concerns on the part of the power company, Pacific Gas and Electricity and some shoddy work when the pipelines were installed. Power companies will sacrifice safety for profits so I imagine the nuclear plant in your state will take precedence over protecting the power lines.

Archived