Gibson Brands Forums

Carvin Amps

bluzhammer

I have an early 80's Carvin X series head. It's a great amp and very versatile. I tried to sell it a couple of times locally and never had any real interest in it. I guess because it doesn't say "Marshall" on it, it must not be a good sounding amp. I'd recommend searching for one of these if you are looking for an older amp:

CarvinX60.jpg

I have an early 80's Carvin X series head. It's a great amp and very versatile. I tried to sell it a couple of times locally and never had any real interest in it. I guess because it doesn't say "Marshall" on it, it must not be a good sounding amp. I'd recommend searching for one of these if you are looking for an older amp:

CarvinX60.jpg

The VT50 has peeked my interest a little. I have also been considering building a Hiwatt clone in the 50 watt range.

I've never played one of their amps, but I did use one of their 4X12 cabs for a while with some people I jammed with. -It was already at the practice spot.

Anyway, it was a really great sounding cab, and really complimented my 5150. Also, it seemed to be very well constructed.

I'v got the Carvin Legacy. It's Seves Via's signature model amp. They don't make the Legacy any longer, but now the Legacy 2 is available. It's basically the same amp with a 3rd channel and a Master Volume, which the Legacy 1 doesn't have.

My experience is that it is a very responsive and dynamic sounding amp. It really responds to your "touch". But it is very LOUD, and really sounds it's best when cranked. I would not recomend it for bedroom volumes, although the Legacy 2 with it's Master Volume is probably better with that issue. it's also very Bass heavy, so you need to turn the Bass response almost totally off, or use an EQ pedal in the loop to cut the 100Hz.

I don't know much about their other models, but they generally are a well regarded maker of amps, guitars, PA and other equipment.

Here's a demo video I made when I first got it. I hadn't figured out the Bass issue at this point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNL_BYqKjKs

CarvinX60.jpg

They still make these EXACT amps........Nice amps....

I have a Carvin MTS 3200 head-All Tube -50th Anniversary Series....and I absolutely love it! Great clean channel and awesome gain---crunchy like a Marshall (which I also own) but capable of so much more if needed. The Carvin has caused my '69 Fender Twin Reverb to sit idle the last couple months. I paid $249.

$(KGrHqQOKpsE25,fzbddBN)hiSheOQ~~_12.JPG

The VT50 has peeked my interest a little. I have also been considering building a Hiwatt clone in the 50 watt range.

One of the great things about the X series amps is that you can really step down the volume. My amp is an X60, 60 watts, that can be switched to 30, or even 15 watts

I have a Carvin MTS 3200 head-All Tube -50th Anniversary Series....and I absolutely love it! Great clean channel and awesome gain---crunchy like a Marshall (which I also own) but capable of so much more if needed. The Carvin has caused my '69 Fender Twin Reverb to sit idle the last couple months. I paid $249.

$(KGrHqQOKpsE25,fzbddBN)hiSheOQ~~_12.JPG

Also a great amp. I had one for a short time, but sold it due to having too many amps.

Also a great amp. I had one for a short time, but sold it due to having too many amps.

I was going to say that there is no such thing as too many amps.....Then I saw that you have six amps....

I have no idea how many amps I have......That's not too many, I hope.......

yeah, i got a '90s x-100b. it's basically a modded jcm 800. somewhere in between that and a mark iv. they're loud and built like tanks. mine only cost me 300 bucks used. carvin definitely builds high quality affordable stuff. good prices since it's factory direct. they have a few outlet stores in cali. if you don't live here, it'd be tough demoing. unless you find one used at a music shop....

Archived