Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V for Blues

Texasbluezman

A lot of people think the 496R/500T combo found in most stock V's & Explorers are too hot and brittle.

If you want to play with hot pickups, especially this set, I've found that sometimes having the selector in the middle position, the tone almost all the way up, and rolling off the front volume a bit for more treble/bite, takes off that hot pickup harshness but keeps harmonics, etc. that hot pickups are known for.

Also, your amp choice and how you use it are a key component in getting the tone you want.

Thanks guys! I have been wanting to get a LP Trad, but it's really hard to save $1500 to $2000, so I was looking for a good alternative. And something a little untraditional. My main concern was the stock pickups, but I was looking for something with some growl to them, so I'll just look for one and I can change pickups later. I can solder like there's no tomorrow, so that's not a problem. BTW, I'm a welder by trade, so I'm already a MMMM.(Master of Manipulating Molten Metal) I have a Am. Deluxe Strat for those cleans, so the V sounds like a good choice for what I'm looking for. Plus sometimes I'm in a metal mood and the V just screams early Metallica. Thanks again, and I'll post some pics when I have my NGD.

Does the V have good sustain? I would think they would, since it's mahogany. I played one years ago, way before my ear knew what to listen for, so I just can't remember what they sounded like, tone wise.

Also I've seen Joe Bonamassa playing one. He can make any guitar scream!

Thanks guys! I have been wanting to get a LP Trad, but it's really hard to save $1500 to $2000, so I was looking for a good alternative. And something a little untraditional. My main concern was the stock pickups, but I was looking for something with some growl to them, so I'll just look for one and I can change pickups later. I can solder like there's no tomorrow, so that's not a problem. BTW, I'm a welder by trade, so I'm already a MMMM.(Master of Manipulating Molten Metal) I have a Am. Deluxe Strat for those cleans, so the V sounds like a good choice for what I'm looking for. Plus sometimes I'm in a metal mood and the V just screams early Metallica. Thanks again, and I'll post some pics when I have my NGD.

Does the V have good sustain? I would think they would, since it's mahogany. I played one years ago, way before my ear knew what to listen for, so I just can't remember what they sounded like, tone wise.

Also I've seen Joe Bonamassa playing one. He can make any guitar scream!

I think the Gibson V is one of the most versatile guitars on the market. The strings are nice and loose, good for bends. The pickups are a good match, but a tad dirty,

But they are great for rock and metal. I use a peavey JSX with reverb through the "crunch" channel, gain usually half for rock , maybe a third for semi-clean blues stuff.

I wouldnt change the pickups, however the neck pickup is under close surveillance,

And im not sure if I like it, as opposed to something a little meaner -like a 498, or a dimarzio distortion, SD, etc. this is why its good to have many Vs, so u can change pickups and compare a/b switch with the original pickups.

My main concern was the stock pickups, but I was looking for something with some growl to them.

Does the V have good sustain?

The stock pickups definitely have growl.

Too much for some.

Workin' volume/tone pots and amp control is key.

I like the switch in center position.

Plenty of sustain.

Some say adding one of these adds even more.

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Hardware/Tailpieces/Gold-TP-6-Stop-Bar.aspx

aac2d976-79d7-4662-aaf7-581d29a6d54a.jpg

I just got my Flying V last week, and I'm finding it is just as versatile as my other Gibsons. I use it primarily in a band influenced by 60's & 70's rock and blues. The pickups in mine are the stock ceramics, but the previous owner had covers installed. Depending on what amp I play through, I can get a really nice bell-like clean tone, to warm overdrive, to a chunky metal sound. I'd say, play it through a low wattage tube amp, and see how you like it before changing out the pups. If the tone is a little too harsh (the 496r and 500t are pretty hot) try lowering the pickups away from the strings a little. Cheers.

6449_100dpi.jpg

Depending on what amp I play through, I can get a really nice bell-like clean tone, to warm overdrive, to a chunky metal sound. I'd say, play it through a low wattage tube amp, and see how you like it before changing out the pups. If the tone is a little too harsh (the 496r and 500t are pretty hot) try lowering the pickups away from the strings a little. Cheers.

6449_100dpi.jpg

Yup.

What Twiz said.

I like the pickup switch in the middle position to take some edge off.

That looks nice with those pickup covers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived