Gibson Brands Forums

UPS damage?

retrosurfer1959

I was waiting for a UPS delivery today that I needed to finish putting a tool together so I can get a tool back into production. I got a call at 3pm telling me that there was a problem as they had possibly damaged the product so they had overnighted the damaged product back to the shipper for confirmation and replacement so I can get the part monday when the delivery was promised for. Ok I guess I can understand the process and even appreciate the due diligence but two thing really bothered me it was out on the truck for delivery to me why didn't they show it to me and see if the piece was damaged beyond use. And more importantly this shipment was a tool base plate which means it is a solid plate 12"x18" by 1-1/2" 6061-T651 Aluminum Plate. This is tooling plate and one of the strongest materials known to man

It's MECHANICAL PROPERTIES Tensile Strength (PSI) Yield Strength (PSI) Shear Strength (PSI) Elongation in 2" Brinell Hardness

45,000 40,000 31,000 12 95

This stuff is what we mount heavy duty machines mounts on and make hold down plates with - it's used to create high pressure jig plates and molds so it's one and 1/2 inches thick plate of hardened aluminum, how the hell could they damage this even with heavy machinery ????

From my dealings I can say that as the receiver, you basically don't count. The shipper is who they'll try to deal with unless the package was signed for by the receiver making it what they call a "concealed" damage.

Beats me how they could've damaged a heavy piece of aluminum.

If I am reading this correctly, the item was damaged in shipping, the shipping company realized the problem, returned the item for a replacement, and will deliver to you Monday. It is too bad that it was damaged, but it appears that UPS was procative in responding to the problem. At least they didn't deliver it to you damaged, have you discover the damage, arrange for return, and wait for a replacement.

It sucks that it was damaged but they took steps to minimize your delay. Stuff Happens.

I never ship UPS any longer. I go with FedEx, and No Problems. My basses come in great with FedEx. UPS will damage a shipment, and deny it was them, or their favorite line of crap is "improper packing."

If I am reading this correctly, the item was damaged in shipping, the shipping company realized the problem, returned the item for a replacement, and will deliver to you Monday. It is too bad that it was damaged, but it appears that UPS was procative in responding to the problem. At least they didn't deliver it to you damaged, have you discover the damage, arrange for return, and wait for a replacement.

It sucks that it was damaged but they took steps to minimize your delay. Stuff Happens.

All very true - I wasn't complaining about the service, what shocked me is that they could damage it. It was a piece of aluminum that weighs 23 pounds and was 1 1/2 inch thick, packed in a wooden sleeve how on earth do you damage something like that?

Retro...

Explain a 1-inch round hole that punched through a heavy box, packing and about 3/8 of an inch into an Ovation case. <grin> I can't. Frankly I didn't even bother reporting it, but I wasn't a happy camper with UPS on that one a half dozen years ago.

m

Archived