Gibson Brands Forums

U.S. Gamers Crack Puzzle in AIDS Research

Californiaman

that is an extraordinary story !!..it is fascinating i guess that gamers adapt so much to puzzle solving with the type of tenacity that is required they will start to explore angles that medical research scientists wounldt see

i am involved with medical education at the uni here so find this type of story fascinating ..i am not a medical person but being involved with the education of doctors doing exams i am always amazed at the complexity and difficulty with medical science..it is hard for them and often differing evaluations of a given problem will occur

this is an exciting result of advanced technologies involving people who are adapting and evolving around them ..the requirements of a game puzzle solving can result in a problem solving issue like this is truly quite amazing and makes me wonder what the future has in store for us..thats a great post

This is a cool story.

Read It Hear

This is the key here - "These features provide opportunities for the design of antiretroviral drugs,..."

What makes AIDS virus so tricky is that it constantly mutates (it's a retrovirus) so pinning down a treatment has been PhD level calculus hard. Hope this materializes into better treatments or a cure.

This is the key here - "These features provide opportunities for the design of antiretroviral drugs,..."

What makes AIDS virus so tricky is that it constantly mutates (it's a retrovirus) so pinning down a treatment has been PhD level calculus hard. Hope this materializes into better treatments or a cure.

so true it has always been the problem with the virus is mutates and adapts ..so if one cure worked it would mutate with some predicting a cure may never be possible..those PHDs are brilliant people lets hope this can produce some results

Yeah, the AIDS thing is incredibly complex from strictly a scientific perspective.

Actually a "cure" for the virus is to me only the beginning. I keep thinking about the potential use of retroviruses that increase rather than decrease immune responses... a window into potential cancer treatments... etc., etc., etc.

The "political" angle is sad from my perspective since arguments are on ethical and moral foundations rather than scientific perspectives that have value just for what they are in a "pure research" sense.

I'll never forget one sci fi piece I read a long time ago - as in 1962. I just googled to see if I correctly remembered the name of the novella, and I did. "The Chemically Pure Warriors." The story line was to the effect that put "chemically pure" soldiers into battle; they had no "germs" and therefore no problems with diseases as long as they kept their armor secure. But of course without it, they were incredibly susceptible to disease. Then they ran into another batch of folks who had plenty of "bugs," but their bacteria kept them healthy without the suits and sterile environments.

Always thought that should be more than a good story.

m

I think many solutions will be found outside the box.

Requiring people who are not know it alls based on what they have been taught and what qualifications they have passed.

But the people who are in no way attached to formal training in what is deemed to be a difficult and specialized occupation.

I think many solutions will be found outside the box.

Requiring people who are not know it alls based on what they have been taught and what qualifications they have passed.

But the people who are in no way attached to formal training in what is deemed to be a difficult and specialized occupation.

well said i think that is a very good point sometimes the training can make it so specific they cant see the forest for the trees and some one thinking outside the box can introduce a fresh perspective..very good observation there [thumbup]

there are some great signs for these emergent technologies we got to remember the web as a public entity is only a few years old there is so much potential here as people as a collective can start to form a type of collective consciousness and work together..to me that is an exciting prospect for humanity [smile]

Archived