Gibson Brands Forums

Noob Needs Assistance

j-dub

hi and thanks for your time.

first, apologies if this thread or its likes has been beaten like a dead horse.

i am a noob, not only here with all of you, but in guitars as a whole. i am relearning and it is going well, far better than it did when i was 15 years old...but thats another story.

so since i am picking this up, albeit at a snails pace, i am thinking of a reward for myself down the road if this takes. i am currently learning on a loaned fender esquire and amp.

To The Point.

i am looking at the epi black beauty, and the cream and black bullseye as the reward. other than cosmetic, is there a profound difference in the way these two models produce sounds. 3 pickup vs 2 pickup, pickup type, nut size etc etc.

basically, opinions is all i am after, if you have one, it is appreciated.

thanks, and i hope this ain't a dupe.

Welcome [thumbup]

The big difference is pickups

The Black Beauty has 3 Classic Pickups which produce a clearer sound

Where as the Zak Wydde uses EMG's which provide more bite.

Apart from that the hardware is quite similiar to each other...

May I ask where this is going to be precured from?

this is along the lines of information requested. i have heard/read a fair bit about emg's, actually the esquire i am learning with now has two of them. what of nut sizes, the bullseye has a 1 11/16 where as the b/beauty has a 1.68, does nut size effect the playability, my fingers resemble sausages lol.

when i eventually part with my money, it will be left with a reputable store long and mcquade are pretty big up here, as is steve's music store.

thanks again, i appreciate your time.

1 11/16 = 1.6875

They are the same width.

[blink] alrighty then. i did say i was a noob didn't i. does that mean that all nuts are standardized to this size, i thought there were various nut sizes (assumption), and how, or does, nut size effect play?

sorry if i'm asking lame ones, but i've got a ways to go and appreciate the guidance.

[blink] alrighty then. i did say i was a noob didn't i. does that mean that all nuts are standardized to this size, i thought there were various nut sizes (assumption), and how, or does, nut size effect play?

sorry if i'm asking lame ones, but i've got a ways to go and appreciate the guidance.

Well that was just a matter of maths, as far as I know that's a pretty standard size for Epis and most of them would have that width, there are differences though in neck profiles on different models, which is to say the shape of the neck (not fretboard) might differ between models, I have no experience of the models you're trying to compare, so I can't really answer what the differences might be between those particular models.

Well that was just a matter of maths, as far as I know that's a pretty standard size for Epis and most of them would have that width, there are differences though in neck profiles on different models, which is to say the shape of the neck (not fretboard) might differ between models, I have no experience of the models you're trying to compare, so I can't really answer what the differences might be between those particular models.

thanks. there are many variables it seems. other than nut size, there is neck profile to consider, am i to take that fret boards are not standard either?? do some have more curvature than others???

i guess at the very least, i will soon be fondling a few different models to see if there are notable differences.

so much for thinking that you've seen one, you've seen them all [-X

thanks. there are many variables it seems. other than nut size, there is neck profile to consider, am i to take that fret boards are not standard either?? do some have more curvature than others???

i guess at the very least, i will soon be fondling a few different models to see if there are notable differences.

so much for thinking that you've seen one, you've seen them all [-X

Model ID and specs isn't my strong suit, it's just not my bag, as far as I know both the models you're looking at have 12" radius fretboards, as do most Epis these days, though they have used 14" in the past and there maybe still a few models available with that larger radius. It could even be the inverse, with the 14' more common than the 12", it's just not something i've ever concerned myself with, learning all those specs and numbers, you'd probably be better waiting for someone with more knowledge in this area to answer those concerns.

Model ID and specs isn't my strong suit, it's just not my bag, as far as I know both the models you're looking at have 12" radius fretboards, as do most Epis these days, though they have used 14" in the past and there maybe still a few models available with that larger radius. It could even be the inverse, with the 14' more common than the 12", it's just not something i've ever concerned myself with, learning all those specs and numbers, you'd probably be better waiting for someone with more knowledge in this area to answer those concerns.

you have added some insight, thank you.

12 or 14 inch radius, i'm a goner now [confused]

in a perfect world, someone would own both, and could shed a little more insight. the reality i reckon is i'm just going to have to molest a bunch of them next time i make the trip to the store.

Go to your favourite dealer, play 'em both

the one that

feels good to your hands,

sounds good to your ears,

looks good to your eyes

and fits your wallet

is the one you should buy.

BTW what amp are you using ?

yeah, that is likely what i will end up doing. just not too sure about what the gain of a 3rd pickup would be, i wonder if i'd even miss it, and wonder if that would make a large difference overall. but i think it is the actual pickup used rather than the number of them. still learning, still hungry for more.

the loaner amp i am using is a Fender, it has 2 inputs on the front top left, followed by 8 dials, it has a built in peddle in the back, it has sidekick reverb 25 on the top right corner. i think it is an oldie but it still works well enough for my current needs.

i am looking at the epi black beauty, and the cream and black bullseye as the reward.

basically, opinions is all i am after, if you have one, it is appreciated.

Welcome!!! Well, the differences have been already discussed, so....here's my opinion ;) I'd get the Black Beauty - just flat out classic look ... the bullseye??? ....flat out hideous......imho :) Pickups are a lot easier to swap out for something different than doing a total refinish of a guitar. Not a bullseye fan, not an EMG fan ..... but it's your call - pick the one that YOU like most

One small complaint I've heard about the Black Beauty, or any guitar with 3 humbucker sized pickups, is that the middle pickup gets in the way of picking. The pickups are quite close together so this might be something to take into consideration.

The other guys have already said what I would say next.

Go and play the guitar before buying.

One small complaint I've heard about the Black Beauty, or any guitar with 3 humbucker sized pickups, is that the middle pickup gets in the way of picking. The pickups are quite close together so this might be something to take into consideration.

Good point, G. I had that sort of "adjustment " to make when I got my 3 p'up BMG, although it's 3 single-coil Tri-Sonic p'ups, with about 1 1/2 fingers width between them - have never played a 3 humbucker equipped guitar, I'd imagine that would be a factor to consider (looking at my LP Std, yeah there's next to no room in there if a 3rd p'up was in there). .....although I still think I'd choose 3 'buckers over a bullseye ....my opinion only, of course ;)

Welcome!!! Well, the differences have been already discussed, so....here's my opinion ;) I'd get the Black Beauty - just flat out classic look ... the bullseye??? ....flat out hideous......imho :) Pickups are a lot easier to swap out for something different than doing a total refinish of a guitar. Not a bullseye fan, not an EMG fan ..... but it's your call - pick the one that YOU like most

personally, the look of the bullseye is what initially caught my eye. it is still classic but has an edge to it. i grew up on kiss, van halen, iron maiden and the likes, outrageous looking guitars was the start of it all for me [tongue]

The other guys have already said what I would say next.

Go and play the guitar before buying.

that is a valid point regarding the picking limitations with the black beauty. i'm just going to throw this out there. is it possible that the 3 pickup models are geared towards more of a rhythm or strumming style of play, i'm still wet behind the ears but it sounds like a logical assumption.

Good point, G. I had that sort of "adjustment " to make when I got my 3 p'up BMG, although it's 3 single-coil Tri-Sonic p'ups, with about 1 1/2 fingers width between them - have never played a 3 humbucker equipped guitar, I'd imagine that would be a factor to consider (looking at my LP Std, yeah there's next to no room in there if a 3rd p'up was in there). .....although I still think I'd choose 3 'buckers over a bullseye ....my opinion only, of course ;)

i guess if i did eventually opt for the bullseye, i wouldn't have to worry about most thinking of stealing it lol. the cream and white one i saw at the shop looked nice and warm in person. i have only seen the camo version online, and it is a mess imo.

just to add, thank you for all the thoughts and opinions, and for not kicking the new guy in the nut sack. this place is cool [thumbup]

Archived