Gibson Brands Forums

Carvin hollow body guitars

Kenny V

First off, I own Three Gibson guitars, two Les Pauls and one ES135. I think they are all great guitars and my LP Standard is my favorite. Please don't think I am a trader or trying to bad rap Gibson and drum up business for another guitar company. Truth is I own a total of 8 American made guitars from various makers. I recently visited the Carvin Guitar website and was impressed with one of their new models, the Frank Gambale FG1 semi-hollow carved top guitar. I know the resale value of Carvin's is no where near as strong as a used Gibson or Fender. I am not really looking for resale value on this guitar. It seems the only guitars I buy that I end up selling are the lower priced foreign made ones, and I am not knocking them. Has anyone on the forum ever purchased a Carvin guitar and what did they think their quality and playability? Also did anyone who ever owned one had to contact Carvin because of a problem and if so was it resolved to your satisfaction. I have very high opinion regarding Gibson's customer service. I am reluctant to purchase a guitar that costs 2K without playing it first, but they have a very liberal return policy.

Thanks,

Kenny V

I purchased my Legacy amp from Carvin and it died on me the first week. They were very helpful about returning it and shipping another one. I have no experience with their guitars, but assume they would be just as good.

I bought a CT6 a couple of years ago. I had the luxury of having their Santa Ana store nearby so I could touch, feel, etc. Their guys were great in terms of suggestions, no pressure etc. Carvin has a great reputation for customer service, and as for the quality of my guitar, it's on a par with my Gibby's, PRS, etc. Top notch.

047.jpg

A few members here do own Carvins....Their quality is indeed top notch....I own "low end", "mid level", and " some "high end" guitars,

including Gibsons....I have played some Carvins, but not in years....Now, I've been eyeing the Gamble and the SH550B...In fact,

my order for one is ready to order, with all the bells and whistles, including the synth access...I can't order it until I finish up a

long drawn out suit (as a plantiff)....Carvins are known for their top notch playability and quality..Stunning tops....Get one......

I have two and they were both custom orders, They are easy to deal with and make a solid well built and well finished guitar. I would put them above the standard stuff Gibson is doing and just below the custom shop stuff. The quality is there but there is something very special about a Gibson Custom Shop model that they got right, it may not happen often but when it all comes together Gibson is hard to beat.

All that said Carvins are a nice guitar and one of the few builders that give you that many choices.

I own a Carvin SH550; that's it in my avatar. It is, without question, the most solid and well built guitar I've ever played; also the most beautiful. I realize that everyone has a different neck feel that they prefer, but the neck on my Carvin is perfect for me. I also love the S22 pick-ups that are stock. Some consider them thin, but compared to the 57 classics on my 335 and the 490/498 pups on my LP Studio, they are not as muddy and a little quackier- very distinctive tone. Some say they compare favorably to P90s. Plus, I have a single coil/humbucker option with a push/pull tone control. Love the ebony fretboard and medium jumbo frets. This is my number one guitar and has been since it arrived almost a year ago. I have not had to deal with customer service since it arrived, but most of what I hear is favorable.

I would highly recommend Carvin guitars. It would be great for you to play one before purchasing, because the Carvin tone is not for everyone. But, Carvin has a no questions asked return policy that insures customer satisfaction. Be careful- once you start building one on their web site, it'll be tough not to hit the "buy now" option.

Archived