Gibson Brands Forums

Best sounding vintage pickups

Seu João

I think the title said it all, i'm looking for a good vintage sound on my es-335, i like peter green, bb king or even John Mayall mellow tone for soloing but on the bridge pickup that Freddie King monster tone with good output, my options are the Wolfetone Dr vintage Pickups, i've heard a few youtube videos and completely fell in love with them, but it's difficult to find them in Europe and i don't want the give a lot of money to the customs again, Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday, also good sounding pickups and i can order them here in Portugal (probably the ones i'm gonna buy just 'cause it's cheaper for me to buy them here!) and the last option are the Gibson Burstbuckers Pro. What do you guys have to say? I know these kind of questions are like cats and dogs but i would really appreciate some help here!

João Mota

The stock pu's make the sound that 335's are famous for. The smooth sounding pickups combine with the naturally edgy tone of the 335 to make that unmistakable 335 tone. Burstbuckers are surely the wrong direction to head. They are made to be edgy, and they will kill the natural tone of a 335. Stormy monday's and intended to be edgy too, like the burstbuckers. Not too sure about the Dr. Vintage PU's.

Of all the possible combinations of guitars and pickups, a 335 with 57 pickups is probably the most successful combination of body and p/u ever developed.

Hi

I have the standard block inlay es 33, which comes with Burstbuckers 1, 2 stock. I can't comment your other options, but I really, really like the stock PU's in my es.I don't think they kill the tone of the guitar, but transport it in very nice way, especially after i changed to 50ies wiring.

I would like to ask, what es do you have and what Pu's are in there and what you don't like about them, that makes you want to change them?

I think the title said it all, i'm looking for a good vintage sound on my es-335, i like peter green, bb king or even John Mayall mellow tone for soloing but on the bridge pickup that Freddie King monster tone with good output, my options are the Wolfetone Dr vintage Pickups, i've heard a few youtube videos and completely fell in love with them, but it's difficult to find them in Europe and i don't want the give a lot of money to the customs again, Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday, also good sounding pickups and i can order them here in Portugal (probably the ones i'm gonna buy just 'cause it's cheaper for me to buy them here!) and the last option are the Gibson Burstbuckers Pro. What do you guys have to say? I know these kind of questions are like cats and dogs but i would really appreciate some help here!

João Mota

I think Stormy Mondays are superior to BurstBucker Pros. Bare Knuckles pups are among the best. If you want to get Gibson pups, '57 Classics might be a better choice for a 335 than Burstbuckers.

Archived