Gibson Brands Forums

I love watching solo compilation videos

Shnate McDuanus

For some reason, I've always really liked listening to compilations of guitar solos from particular players. Sometimes it reminds me of why I like a guitarist, sometimes it gives me newfound respect for a guitarist I formerly didn't care for.

Here's the former: a Dimebag Darrell compilation

I've always loved Dimebag and Pantera in general, despite Phil Anselmo's tough guy poser image, and I consider him one of the "greats" of metal lead guitar for sure. Very inventive and had some of the tastiest licks going around. He's a huge inspiration to me and one of the guys who keeps me playing. Also, he does a really cool and very reverent tribute to EVH in that video, with his rendition of "Eruption." It's awesome.

The second one is a video that has actually given me new-found respect for a very popular and famous player who I had always discredited as generic and overhyped: Slash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs0C9M5ahvQ

That video gave me a much better idea of why he's so well-loved. He's a tasty player and he's really pretty damn soulful! Awesome stuff from a silly clown in a top-hat--he can really rip up the fretboard! Good tone, too.

Here's another one of my main inspirations, in addition to Dime:

I love his lead style. It's very shreddy, but also really melodic and tasty as sh*t! He's one of my faves for sure.

And here's another big inspiration for me:

Michael Amott, from Carcass, Arch Enemy, etc. He's a great lead player--always very creative and tasteful, his leads just seem to fit in with the atmosphere of every song he plays in. Truly inspirational, and he has some great, very inventive licks and awesome chops.

Post some of your favorites?

Guest farnsbarns

I love how you fxckers have taken to simply ignoring my threads.

Whatever.

Give us a chance, some of us live in different time zones and have work to do. Loved the Slash vid, now I'm gonna have to have a break from work to play guitar.

I love how you fxckers have taken to simply ignoring my threads.

Taking my morning coffee and ouch.

Many times I view/follow a thread without commenting. I probably would've done that on this one. But I wanted to let you know I took look.

First off, I wasn't aware of the availability of the these compilations - some great stuff here. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. B).

Archived