Gibson Brands Forums

Rough recording

struma6

Thanks! The comparison to Henley/Eagles stunned me a bit, not in a bad way, always been a huge fan of them! I can't stand my own vocals and I love Henley's!

I'm playing around in Audacity to learn it and figured out how to cut off the long blank spot in the beginning and compressed it a bit.

The guitar is my 165, btw. Straight mic'd dry. The middle section hs no vox so I can add a lead line in there once I work out a decent one!

This is a lovely recording and performed really well - nice guitar playing too [thumbup]

Were the vocals recorded through the same mic as the guitar? or did you record over a separate track for the vocals? That was the only thing I probably would have done differently if i was doing the recording with you; make your vocals sound not so far away. But that is purely a personal preference...

It was though a really nice musical recording.

Matt

Thanks for the comments! I recorded this with the guitar track first, mic'd, and then the vox using the same mic. I have to play with mic placement etc, not really tuned into that at this point. I'm just past the point of hurting my brain with Audacity...it's a decent bit of free software though.

Struma

I love real recordings of acoustic guitars like yours here.

The majority of modern recordings lack that 'something' IMO. With the 'imperfections' getting airbrushed out by the sound engineer, sadly so does a lot of the music's heart.

That is what is so awesome about an old Django Reinhardt recording for instance! Most of it was recorded live: there are crackles and the sound isn't perfectly balanced etc -and there are many other things that by today's standard's don't measure up; but the music carries through! [thumbup]

All the musicians in the early recordings had to lean nearer the mic when it was their solo! That is a beautiful image.

Matt

Archived