Gibson Brands Forums

anyone good with home repair ****?

Silenced Fred

so the soap dish thing in my shower fell. its a tiled shower.

are they all like standard sizes for the most part? I'm gonna end up going to Home Depot tomorrow and see if I can get one and something to hold it in better. Scary as all **** when you're in the shower and two pounds of porcelain hits the ground...

so the soap dish thing in my shower fell. its a tiled shower.

are they all like standard sizes for the most part? I'm gonna end up going to Home Depot tomorrow and see if I can get one and something to hold it in better. Scary as all **** when you're in the shower and two pounds of porcelain hits the ground...

Frezzy:

Take the old one in with you. AND: get a tape measure and read it, it's easy. Measure the size of the "hole it needs to fit and with your tape you take in with you, measure what you find. I guarantee it will work if you can read.

They make some stuff that comes in a small TUB (about the size of a large side dish at KFC or POPEYE's chicken) that is grout and glue. They sell it at Home Depot (or lowes, or where ever). With that, you can stick it on AND grout around the edge and be complete.

I know you are on a budget: that is about the cheapest way I can think of. Should cost about 20 bones (or less).

They make some stuff that comes in a small TUB (about the size of a large side dish at KFC or POPEYE's chicken) that is grout and glue. They sell it at Home Depot (or lowes, or where ever). With that, you can stick it on AND grout around the edge and be complete.

If this is one of those "ceramic soap dish in a quadratic tile base" sort of thingy, then they are generally standard sizes. You should remove the old tile cement and grouting out of the hole, otherwise the new tile won't hold well and that thing will fall out again sooner or later. This is best done with a hammer and chisel... And a steady hand. Use some masking tape to protect the surrounding tiles.

It's easy enough to fit a new tile in an existing hole (if it's clean enough). Just follow the instructions on the tile cement tub. And don't be impatient! Allow for the cement to dry properly.

If the soap dish was not part of a tile, i.e. a separate thing attached to the wall, I wouldn't glue it! That would be fairly permanent and might cause problems later. Especially if you're renting! Try to use the same form of fixture that was used before... e.g. if it was screwed, then try to find a new soap dish with screws that would fit the original holes (you may also have to get something to repair/redo the holes with, better dowels etc., if they were the reason the soap dish fell down in the first place)

Happy D.I.Y.ing [biggrin]

If this is one of those "ceramic soap dish in a quadratic tile base" sort of thingy, then they are generally standard sizes. You should remove the old tile cement and grouting out of the hole, otherwise the new tile won't hold well and that thing will fall out again sooner or later. This is best done with a hammer and chisel... And a steady hand. Use some masking tape to protect the surrounding tiles.

It's easy enough to fit a new tile in an existing hole (if it's clean enough). Just follow the instructions on the tile cement tub. And don't be impatient! Allow for the cement to dry properly.

If the soap dish was not part of a tile, i.e. a separate thing attached to the wall, I wouldn't glue it! That would be fairly permanent and might cause problems later. Especially if you're renting! Try to use the same form of fixture that was used before... e.g. if it was screwed, then try to find a new soap dish with screws that would fit the original holes (you may also have to get something to repair/redo the holes with, better dowels etc., if they were the reason the soap dish fell down in the first place)

Not to worry-the stuff I was referring to is a mix that is made for the purpose. It can be used as a mortar and a grout both.

Its one of those separate things. No problem with it being permanent, just needs to be fixed. It has some orange looking thing as the glue so I'm gonna go to Home Depot today, bring it in and say "HELP MEEEEEEEEEE" to the nearest person who works there.

I'm terrible with home improvement stuff, I'll admit it. It's 4x6 which seems to be the standard size so finding a replacement shouldn't be too hard... I hope [crying]

Yeah, take it with you to the HIC. If it fits into the space a tile would fit into, then you will probably have to grout it in like any of the other tiles. If it is adhered to the surface of the tile, then some sort of adhesive would be in order. A knowledgeable HomeDepot employee should be able to direct you to the correct adhesive for the job. You will need to remove the current 'orange stuff' before re-installing.

Next time, go to the Gym to do your chin ups Fred. [flapper]

Yeah, take it with you to the HIC. If it fits into the space a tile would fit into, then you will probably have to grout it in like any of the other tiles. If it is adhered to the surface of the tile, then some sort of adhesive would be in order. A knowledgeable HomeDepot employee should be able to direct you to the correct adhesive for the job. You will need to remove the current 'orange stuff' before re-installing.

Next time, go to the Gym to do your chin ups Fred. [flapper]

word.

going to Home Depot after class, and my friend in my class just had to do the same thing like two weeks ago, so he was able to throw me some advice as well.

Who would have thought a soap holder wouldn't be able to support my weight for pull ups?

Frezzy:

I know you are on a budget: that is about the cheapest way I can think of. Should cost about 20 bones (or less).

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

$19.70 later and you wouldn't have even known it happened.

I feel super manly now [biggrin]

I should do this for a living!

FRUZ, taking care of biznez, even when it is a rental and not your responsibility, is HIGHLY manly, just cause you can.

I should do this for a living!

FRUZ, taking care of biznez, even when it is a rental and not your responsibility, is HIGHLY manly, just cause you can.

not a rental, i'm staying with a family friend, and they are currently not home, so i took it as my responsibility

not a rental, i'm staying with a family friend, and they are currently not home, so i took it as my responsibility

Ok then, taking care of your responsibilities is HIGHLY manly.

How many "men" fail at that because they fail to recognize what it is?

ACTING like a man and BEING a MAN are not always the same thing.

Ok then, taking care of your responsibilities is HIGHLY manly.

How many "men" fail at that because they fail to recognize what it is?

ACTING like a man and BEING a MAN are not always the same thing.

word. taking responsibility for my stuff is like the only highly manly thing i do.

brb my pumpkin spice latte is getting cold [biggrin]

After a manly install like that you should treat yourself to sitting in front of the TV in your froot of the looms, drinking a cold one! [thumbup]

Pictures please... not of your FotL's, but the newly installed chin-up bar.

Btw, any drink which ends in 'cino' or 'atte' is not a manly drink. [sneaky] If it is sugared or milky, it will shrink that which you'd rather not have shrunk. [scared]

It's okay to drink one once in a while as an aperitif, but I wouldn't discuss it real loudly in unmixed company.

After a manly install like that you should treat yourself to sitting in front of the TV in your froot of the looms, drinking a cold one! [thumbup]

Btw, any drink which ends in 'cino' or 'atte' is not a manly drink. [sneaky] If it is sugared or milky, it will shrink that which you'd rather not have shrunk. [scared]

it was humourous to me at least, but true. I am a sucker for pumpkin lattes. Besides for fall, I don't drink any "fruity" drinks like that, black coffee or tea

A little spiced pumpkin does sound good. I smell it at the local gas and choke station when someone revs up the capuccino machine. I usually pass those machines by. I have worked a gas and smoke station before and know what those machines look like on the inside. I think I'm the only gas and smoke station attendant who actually cleaned those suckers on a daily basis.

When in Europe last fall I ate at a fancy schmancy restaurant. They had a butternut squash soup. Sounded awful. Tasted wonderful. My guess it was not much more than pureed butternut squash with milk and cinnamon. Mmmmm, quite pumpkiny flavored. :)

We were able to glean about a dozen butternut squash when we closed out the garden this month. Maybe I'll try my had at making the soup.

:-k

Archived